- Use Print Preview to avoid unnecessary printing.
- Print both sides of the paper and save two cents per page.
- Don’t Print.
- Scan and e-mail the document
- Save it to a flash drive
- Use e-mail or D2L drop box to submit papers
Screensavers, monitors and shutting down
- Screensavers keep computers running. Use sleep mode and turn off the screen to save energy.
- IT Services recommends that you log off at night so that your computer will receive updates in a timely fashion. It is recommended that you shut down if you will be out of office for a longer period.
Marquette Saves Energy in the Data Center
We have designed our data center in a way that minimizes its electrical power consumption and cuts costs:
- Thermal optimizations cool equipment and hot air is directed out of the data room. Cooling fans are used.
- A large portion of our server environment has been virtualized requiring the use of less physical hardware and memory resources.
- The blade infrastructure enables optimal power draw.
Computer Replacement of University Computers
Marquette contracts with a vendor for redeployment and disposal of its computer equipment. The vendor rebuilds computers removed from Marquette’s inventory and donates them to organizations in need, thus extending the useful life of the computing equipment. All other equipment is disposed of in accordance with federal and state environmental laws.
Donate or Recycle old personal computers and electronics
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) estimates that there are about two million tons of used electronics, including computers and televisions, discarded each year. Visit earth 911 to find local recycle and reuse programs. Explore local options for recycling or donating your computer at these sites:
Donate your used computing equipment through TechSoup
- Organizations accept old computers that are still functioning for donation to charities.
- Goodwill Industries of Southeastern Wisconsin and Metropolitan Chicago, Inc. will accept computers and electronic equipment in good working condition.
- Trade in old electronics and get paid cash. gazelle.com and yourenew.com pay shipping costs for you to do so.
For more information contact IT Services Help Desk.