Graduate Student Research Carrel Policy
An application for a graduate research carrel can be filled out online.
Completed applications should be returned to the Library Services Desk.
Assignments will be made in this priority order:
- Doctoral students who are writing their dissertation while they remain on campus.*
- Masters candidates who are writing their thesis while they remain on campus.*
- Other graduate students not currently engaged in writing a dissertation or thesis.
* An application from a graduate student writing a dissertation or thesis must be accompanied by a letter from the director of his or her graduate program, confirming that the student is writing his or her dissertation or thesis during the semester for which the carrel will be provided.
- To allow for more effective use of the carrels, carrels will be assigned for one semester at a time.
- Carrels will be available for the following three periods: fall semester, spring semester and the summer session.
- Graduate students may renew a carrel twice.
- Carrels are only available during Memorial Library's open hours. View library hours
Library materials kept in carrels must be checked out. Library staff regularly monitor carrels and the possession of library materials not checked out may result in confiscation of materials and loss of privileges.
Furniture and Maintenance
- Carrels are furnished with a chair, desk, shelves, and wastebasket.
- Library furniture from other areas of the building may not be moved into the carrels.
- Heaters, heating elements, coffee pots, microwaves, and other electrical appliances are not allowed in carrels.
- Carrels may not be used for purposes other than active research, such as storage of materials.
Carrels should be locked at all times when not in use. Marquette University Libraries assume no responsibility for the loss of, or damage to, personal possessions kept in carrels.
For security reasons, occupants of carrels must not obscure the windows in their carrel with paper or other materials.
Questions about the Research Carrel policy should be sent to the Library Services Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org or (414) 288-7555.