- 2021 news releases
- 2020 news releases
- 2019 news releases
- 2018 news releases
- 2017 news releases
- 2016 news releases
Marquette University Fast Facts
PROBLEM WITH THIS WEBPAGE?
To report another problem, please contact email@example.com.
Sept. 23, 2019
MILWAUKEE - The Social Development Commission and Marquette University are pleased to announce that Ascension Wisconsin will become the title sponsor of the 2019 Summit on Poverty and SWIM Conference hosted by the SDC and Marquette.
Support from Ascension Wisconsin is the largest investment yet in the area’s foremost conference focused on eliminating barriers that contribute to poverty. Targeted barriers addressed by the conference include isms, trauma, cognitive dissonance and policies and systems.
“We only move forward by collaborating with strong partners, such as the addition of Ascension Wisconsin as our title sponsor,” said Marquette President Michael R. Lovell. “Our event will now make an even greater community impact on decreasing poverty and building trauma awareness in Milwaukee.”
The two-day conference runs Oct 7-8 at the Wisconsin District Center. The theme is hope, self-reflection and collective impact. The conference targets community leaders, educators and the general public. With this title sponsorship, proceeds will help offset the cost of the conference and provide scholarships for attendance.
“If we are going to improve quality of life for all, we have to address our issues together,” says George Hinton, CEO of the Social Development Commission. “We are excited to have Ascension Wisconsin support some of the most important conversations we will have as a community. This demonstrates how business can contribute to catalytic change and engage the community inclusively.”
Ascension Wisconsin released the following statement:
“We know that clinical care affects only 20 percent of a person’s overall health. The other 80 percent is influenced by a person’s behaviors, physical environment and socioeconomic factors, such as food and housing insecurity, trauma, education and employment.
At Ascension Wisconsin, we recognize our role as anchors in our communities and the significant impact we have when working with like-minded organizations like Marquette University and the Social Development Commission. Together with SWIM, we can address health beyond healthcare - these broad, systemic issues that can improve overall wellness in the communities we are privileged to serve.
Ascension Wisconsin has been serving communities from Racine to Eagle River since 1848 and is part of Ascension, one of the leading non-profit and Catholic health systems in the U.S.”
Bernie Sherry, Ministry Market Executive
Kevin is the associate director for university communication in the Office of Marketing and Communication. Contact Kevin at (414) 288-4745 or firstname.lastname@example.org.