Degrees Offered

Master of Arts
Doctor of Philosophy


Master’s: European History (Medieval, Early Modern, Modern), United States History (Early U.S., Modern U.S.), Global Studies
Doctoral: European History (Early Modern, Modern), United States History (Early U.S., Modern U.S.)

Program Description

History includes politics, economics, and aesthetics, as well as social, spiritual and cultural relations—our past, our present and our potential as human beings. The history graduate program, mindful of the discipline’s manifold importance and application, offers master of arts and doctoral degree programs in breadth and depth.

Graduate study in history permits students to increase their knowledge of the past and the processes that have shaped the human experience. Such study may prepare students for careers in scholarship, teaching or certain public service fields.

Visit the Department Web Page for more detailed program information.

Application Requirements

  • Read all application instructions prior to beginning an application.
  • A completed application form and fee online.
  • Official transcripts from all current and previous colleges/universities except Marquette.
  • A one-page statement of purpose specifying proposed areas of study and academic interests.
  • Three letters of recommendation from former teachers.
  • GRE scores (General Test only). This requirement may be waived for M.A. applicants who are/were Marquette undergraduates or students who have completed classes at Marquette as a graduate or professional student (in a degree or non-degree status).
  • For doctoral applicants only: a writing sample. Ideally, the sample should be the master’s thesis, but, for graduates of non-thesis programs, it may consist of a formal seminar paper.
  • For international applicants only: TOEFL score or other acceptable proof of English proficiency.

Application Deadline

January 15 for the following fall. .

Financial Aid

The department offers teaching assistantships and research assistantships to incoming and continuing students.

Private scholarships may also be available. U.S. citizens and permanent residents may be eligible to apply for need-based federal aid (loans) to help fund their educational expenses as well.