- Advisory Board means the Marquette University Police Department Advisory Board.
- Board of Trustees means the Board of Trustees of the Marquette University.
- Chief means the Chief of the Marquette University Police Department.
- Marquette means Marquette University.
- MUPD means the Marquette University Police Department.
- President means the President of Marquette University.
Establishment of Advisory Board
- The Marquette University Police Department Advisory Board is established pursuant to the Resolution adopted by the Board of Trustees of Marquette University on February 25, 2015 creating a university police department.
- In the administrative structure of Marquette University, the Advisory Board shall report to such University official as the President shall designate from time to time
- On at least an annual basis the Advisory Board shall file a report of its activities with the Board of Trustees and with the President, which report shall be publicly available.
- The Vice President and General Counsel shall designate an attorney to serve as legal counsel to the Advisory Board.
Responsibilities of the Advisory Board
The responsibilities of the Advisory Board shall include the following:
- Providing advice and recommendations to the Board of Trustees, the President, the University official to whom the Advisory Board reports, or to the Chief with respect to MUPD policies, procedures and activities.
- Reviewing complaints against MUPD personnel as provided for in the MUPD Policy and Procedure Manual and making recommendations to the Chief and to the University Officer to whom the Advisory Board reports with respect thereto.
- Undertaking such other duties as may be assigned from time to time by the Board of Trustees, the President, or the University Officer to whom the Advisory Board Reports.
Composition of the Advisory Board
The Advisory Board shall consist of the following members:
- A Marquette employee appointed by the President to serve as the Chairperson of the Advisory Board.
- A Marquette faculty member nominated by the Academic Senate.
- A Marquette staff member other than an employee of the MUPD nominated by the Staff Senate.
- A Marquette student nominated by the Marquette University Student Government.
- A community member.
Terms of Appointment to the Advisory Board
- Members of the Advisory Board are appointed by the President and serve at the pleasure of the President.
- The term of appointment to the Advisory Board shall be for three years, except as follows:
- The term of appointment of the student member shall be for one year.
- The initial term of appointment for the Marquette faculty member shall be for two years.
- The initial term of appointment for the Marquette staff member shall be for one year.
- The President may re-appoint Advisory Board members at the expiration of their respective terms of appointment.
- Should an Advisory Board member’s seat become vacant during the member’s term of appointment, the President shall appoint a replacement to complete the vacating member’s term of appointment.
- If an Advisory Board member is a Marquette employee, the member’s appointment shall terminate upon the termination of the member’s employment by Marquette.
Rules Governing the Advisory Board
- The Advisory Board shall approve a written set of procedural rules to govern it operations, which rules may be amended by the Advisory Board from time to time.
- The Advisory Board’s procedural rules shall provide that the Advisory Board’s meetings are to be conducted in open session, provided that the Advisory Board may convene in closed session to consider MUPD personnel matters, strategies for crime detection or prevention, any matters which by law are subject to confidentiality requirements, and any other matter the Advisory Board deems appropriate for consideration in closed session.
- The Advisory Board’s procedure rules shall provide that the Advisory Board’s meeting agendas and minutes of its open sessions be made publicly available on the University’s website.
The University does and shall indemnify all Advisory Board members against any and all liabilities arising by reason of any act or failure to act with regard to the member’s activities as a member of the Advisory Board, unless such act or failure to act is due to such person’s own willful misconduct (including the willful violation of applicable law or regulations) in connection with the performance of his or her duties. Such indemnification shall include, but not be limited to, expenses reasonably incurred in the defense of any claim, including attorney’s fees, and amounts paid in any settlement or compromise; provided, however, that indemnification shall not occur to the extent that it is not permitted by applicable law or regulations.