Forward Thinking Research Symposium
This year's Forward Thinking Research Symposium will be held on Tuesday Nov. 29th from 1:00-4:00pm.
Each year, the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs (ORSP) showcases the exciting research being done at Marquette. In celebrating research across campus, the ORSP Forward Thinking Research Symposium provides opportunities to learn more about work being done in other disciplines and fosters professional skills for students. Unlike traditional conferences, where researchers convey the results of work that has been completed, the Forward Thinking presentations focus on projects that will take place in the next 6–12 months.
Highlights for 2022
Here are some highlights of this year's event:
- Researchers will make five-minute oral presentations — “elevator pitches” — of their work. Presentations can be accompanied by up to three PowerPoint slides. Presenters will need to be available Tuesday, November 29th from 1:00 – 3:00 pm.
- Presentations should emphasize WHY this work is important, with less attention paid to the HOW (i.e. the details of a particular methodology).
- We strongly encourage student researchers on the project to do the oral presentation, to help further their presentation skills and articulation of the work in a quick and digestible format.
- Marquette's MIC Speakers Lab can help students and faculty develop, organize, edit, practice, and polish the presentation. Visit The MIC webpage for more information.
- Monetary awards of $500 will go to each of the three top projects, with one of them being jointly funded by the Institute for Women’s Leadership for a project with a gender focus
- Posters are not required, but may be set up in the AMU reception area to allow for further discussion after the oral presentations.
- To promote Marquette’s tradition of sponsoring academic centers and institutes, several of them will have tables set up in the reception area to share more about their missions and programming.
- ORSP will provide information on upcoming funding opportunities of interest to disciplines and career levels across campus.
Full details of this event can be found in the 2022 Forward Thinking Research Symposium Guidelines.
- Mid-September – Guidelines posted on ORSP website
- October 14 – Deadline to submit Letter of Intent to Participate form is 4:00 pm
- November 14 – Deadline to submit presentation is 4:00 pm
- Information needed to complete the form includes: name, email address and department (faculty) for each member of the project team, title, brief description (2-3 sentences), keywords (3), PowerPoint slide of poster (no more than 3 slides; .ppt file format) and if displaying a supplemental poster.
- November 29 – Day of Event
- 12:00 – 12:45 Set up poster (if applicable)
- 1:00 – 1:10 Welcome and Introduction
- 1:15 – 2:45 Oral Presentations
- 3:00 – 4:00 Reception and Poster Presentations
- December 2 – Award winners announced
- Letter of Intent to Participate - deadline October 14th, 4:00pm
- Presentation submission - deadline November 14th (link forthcoming)
- RSVP to attend (virtual or in-person) the Symposium - If planning to attend the event (either virtually or in person), please RSVP via Eventbrite (link forthcoming).
If you have any questions, please contact Project Planning and Development in the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs.