Forward Thinking Research Symposium
This year's event will be held on Tuesday Nov. 28th from 1:00-4:00pm.
Each year, the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs (ORSP) showcases the exciting research being done at Marquette. In celebrating research across campus, the ORSP Forward Thinking Research Symposium provides opportunities to learn more about work being done in other disciplines and fosters professional skills for students. Unlike traditional conferences, where researchers convey the results of work that has been completed, the Forward Thinking presentations focus on projects that will take place in the next 6–12 months.
Highlights for 2023
Here are some highlights of this year's event:
- Researchers will make five-minute oral presentations — “elevator pitches” — of the work they want to do. Presentations must be accompanied by the three template PowerPoint slides provided.
- Presenters will need to be available Tuesday, November 28th from 1:00 – 3:00 m.
- This will be an in-person event this year, to promote further discussion and collaboration.
- Presentations should emphasize: WHY this work and your project is important (the purpose), HOW you’re going to do the work in the next 6-12 months (the process), and WHAT you want to achieve (the results).
- Student researchers on the project must do the oral presentation, to help further their presentation skills and articulation of the work in a quick and digestible.
- Presentations should be prepared with the intent to promote interest in funding for the future work they intend to do. Content should be prepared like a proposal.
- Marquette's MIC Speakers Lab can help students and faculty develop, organize, edit, practice, and polish the presentation. Visit The MIC webpage for more information.
- This year awards are being offered by ORSP, the Institute for Women’s Leadership (gender focused projects) and the Latinx Research Community (Latinx focused projects that aim to better understand Latinx populations and/or issues). Presentations will be evaluated by those in attendance and the top three presentations will be offered a $500 award.
- Posters are not required, but may be set up in the AMU reception area to allow for further discussion after the oral
- To promote Marquette’s tradition of sponsoring academic centers, institutes, and initiatives, several of them will have tables set up in the reception area to share more about their missions and programming.
- ORSP will provide information on upcoming funding opportunities of interest to disciplines and career levels across campus
Full details of this event can be found in the 2023 Forward Thinking Research Symposium Guidelines.
- Mid-September – Guidelines posted on ORSP website
- October 13 – Deadline to submit Intent to Participate form is 4:00 pm
- November 13 – Deadline to submit presentation is 4:00 pm
- Information needed to complete the form includes: name, email address and department (faculty) for each member of the project team, title, brief description (2-3 sentences), keywords (3), PowerPoint slide of poster (no more than 3 slides; .ppt file format) and if displaying a supplemental poster.
- November 28 – Day of Event
- 12:00 – 12:45 Set up poster (if applicable)
- 1:00 – 1:10 Welcome and Introduction
- 1:15 – 2:45 Oral Presentations
- 3:00 – 4:00 Reception and Poster Presentations
- Early December – Award winners announced
- Letter of Intent to Participate - deadline October 13th, 4:00pm
- Submit Presentation - deadline November 13th, 4:00pm
- RSVP to attend - (link forthcoming)
If you have any questions, please contact Project Planning and Development in the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs.