Forward Thinking Research Symposium
Each year, the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs (ORSP) showcases the exciting research being done at Marquette. In celebrating research across campus, the ORSP Forward Thinking Research Symposium provides opportunities to learn more about work being done in other disciplines and fosters professional skills for students. Unlike traditional conferences, where researchers convey the results of work that has been completed, the Forward Thinking presentations focus on projects that will take place in the next 6–12 months.
Forward Thinking Research Symposium - deadlines
New for 2021
Although previous years focused on (virtual or real) poster presentations, this year’s Forward Thinking event centers on brief oral presentations of research projects. Here are highlights of the major changes:
- Researchers will make five-minute oral presentations — “elevator pitches” — of their work. Presentations can be accompanied by up to three PowerPoint slides. Presenters will need to be available Tuesday, November 30th from 1:00 – 3:00 p.m.
- Presentations should emphasize WHY this work is important, with less attention paid to the HOW, that is, the details of a particular methodology.
- We strongly encourage student researchers on the project to do the oral presentation, to help further their presentation skills and articulation of the work in a quickly digestible format.
- Projects will be judged on three criteria. Monetary awards return again, with $500 going to the three top projects.
- Posters are not required, but may be set up in the AMU reception area to allow for further discussion after the oral presentations.
- Marquette has a rich tradition of sponsoring academic centers and institutes that further education, promote research, and inform policy and service activities. To promote their missions and programming, several centers and institutes will have tables set up in the reception area.
- ORSP will provide information on upcoming funding opportunities of interest to disciplines and career levels across campus.
Full details of this event can be found in the 2021 Forward Thinking Research Symposium Guidelines.
- Mid-September – Guidelines posted on ORSP website
- October 15 – Deadline to submit Letter of Intent to Participate form is 4:00 pm
- November 15 – Deadline to submit presentation is 4:00 pm.
- Information needed to complete the form includes: name, email address and department (faculty) for each member of the project team, title, brief description (2-3 sentences), keywords (3), PowerPoint slide of poster (no more than 3 slides; .ppt file format) and if displaying a supplemental poster.
- November 30 – Day of Event
- 12:00 – 12:45 Set up poster (if applicable)
- 1:00 – 1:10 Welcome and Introduction
- 1:15 – 2:45 Oral Presentations
- 3:00 – 4:00 Reception and Poster Presentations
- December 3 – Award winners announced
If you have any questions, please contact Averia Flasch or Erin Folstad in the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs.