Student Opportunities for Community Engagement
- Marquette University Student Government enables students to come together and plan programming through the Community Engagement Committee (CEC) and Diversity Inclusion and Social Justice Committee (DISJ). CEC is committed to service and forging bonds with the Avenues West and Near West Side neighborhoods through outreach and personal interaction to bridge the gap between Marquette and the larger Milwaukee community. DISJ focuses on making the surrounding community feel safe for all who want to be a part of making social change, by bringing awareness to issues students feel the need to discuss on campus. Both DISJ and CEC also work in tandem with the Center for Intercultural Engagement and the LGBTQ+ Resource Center.
- The Center for Community Service connects you with the right volunteer opportunity. Serve weekly with Marquette Volunteer Corps, join a student organization, learn about our community at Meet Milwaukee or participate in one of our service days. Not sure where to start? Email firstname.lastname@example.org to set up a personal advising appointment.
- Briggs & Al's Run for Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin
- Service Learning is an academic program that enables students to perform meaningful community service related to their courses. Each semester, many professors at Marquette offer their students a service option as a means to learn in practice what they are learning in theory in the classroom. Community agencies and residents benefit from the services provided by the students and become partners in their education as well. Service learning classes are offered in many departments and demonstrate the creative expertise of faculty committed to extending disciplinary work into local communities. Currently, 1,200–1,300 students from 55–65 university courses are placed at 100–125 community agencies each semester.
- The Community Service Fair, held at the beginning of each semester in conjunction with OFest, is your chance to chat with local agencies and find the perfect volunteer opportunity.