After a sexual assault, victims often feel a loss of control or blame themselves for what happened. This is normal. Know that what happened is not your fault. There are people on and off campus who will offer support and can help you make the decisions that are right for you. You may want to report the assault immediately to authorities. You might also want to get medical attention or simply talk to someone. Here are some things you should do:

Get to a safe place.

If you are not safe or if you need immediate help:

On campus (or in the Marquette neighborhood), call MUPD at (414) 288-1911.
Off campus, call 911.

The police can provide immediate response for your protection, help you obtain medical care and arrange for a victim advocate to assist and support you immediately.

Seek medical attention as soon as possible.

Sexual assault can result in injury or illness that you may not immediately see or feel. It is important that you seek appropriate medical care promptly.

Resist the urge to change clothes, bathe, douche, eat, drink or brush your teeth. Do not go to the bathroom if possible. This is so that physical evidence can be collected and preserved. You do not need to decide at this time whether you want to pursue legal action or report to the university but if you save the evidence, it offers you more options in the future when you are better able to decide. The staff at the Aurora Sinai Sexual Assault Treatment Center are trained to collect and save this type of evidence for you. One of the advocates or MUDP is available to accompany you if you'd like. You can also have a friend go with you for support.

Contact Advocacy Services

Advocacy Services can be reached at(414) 288-5244. Advocates are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week to provide support and information about campus and community resources to help you heal.

Advocacy Services is a confidential resource, meaning that they will not report what you share with them to the Title IX Coordinator.

Advocates are available to accompany you to obtain medical treatment, assist in obtaining a Stay Away Directive or restraining order against the perpetrator; address any class, housing or other concerns you may have with regard to your education as you heal; and provide information about filing a report with law enforcement or the university's Title IX Office.

Report to the Title IX Coordinator

Contact  Title IX Coordinator  if you wish to report the incident to the university. Even if you choose not to report to law enforcement, you have the right to continue to pursue your education in an environment free fro m the effects of sexual violence, including any ongoing harassment.

You may also tell a trusted faculty or staff member, who will work with the Title IX Coordinator to provide you with support and resources. All university employees, including student employees, are required to report information they receive about allegations of sex-based discrimination, sexual harassment and sexual misconduct to the Title IX coordinator. The information reported will be kept private.

Reporting to campus authorities is not the same as reporting to the police.  The university will report the incident to MUPD for Clery Act compliance but will not share any personally identifiable information without your consent.

Your safety on campus

To ensure your safety on campus, the university can rearrange class schedules and housing assignments, issue a Stay Away Directive and take emergency administrative action to remove an on-going threat to you or to campus if warranted.

Resources On and Off Campus:

  • The Counseling Center provides individual counseling on campus and can be reached at (414) 288-7172. Experienced mental health professionals staff the center from 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. and are also available on call. Therapists provide both one-on-one and group counseling. All services are confidential.
  • The Sexual Assault Treatment Center (SATC) at Aurora Sinai Medical Center is open 24 hours a day. Staff there can address all issues including crisis counseling, injuries, STI testing and treatment, pregnancy and the gathering of physical evidence, as well as referrals for further care. All services at SATC are confidential. SATC can be reached at (414) 219-5555.
  • Medical professionals at Marquette University Medical Clinic can assist you with medical options, including evaluation and treatment for injuries and STIs, as well as pregnancy testing. All medical services are confidential. Marquette University Medical Clinic can be reached at (414) 288-7184.
  • The Healing Center offers sexual abuse survivors and their loved ones opportunities for healing by providing support, counseling, advocacy and community education. All services are confidential. The Healing Center can be reached at (414) 671-4325.
  • Sojourner Family Peace Center provides a 24-hour domestic violence hotline and legal emergency assistance. All services are confidential. They can be reached at (414) 276-1911.
  • The Milwaukee LGBT Community Center is a home to the LGBT population of metro Milwaukee, providing culturally sensitive and competent educational, social, and health and wellness services that meet the needs of LGBT youth, adults and their allies. A mental health clinic offers certified outpatient mental health care in a confidential setting. They can be reached at (414) 271-2656.

Other Campus Resources (non-confidential)

  • Campus Ministry provides spiritual support and counseling and can be reached at (414) 288-6873. Campus ministers are available to meet with students and provide support.
  • Staff at the LGBTQ+ Resource Center can provide you with information regarding support. The center is located in the Alumni Memorial Union, Room 425 and can be reached at (414) 288-4975.

Other Resources