SERVE: Students Engaging in Real Volunteer Opportunities
SERVE will be held in Spring 2021.
Applications will be available in late fall - be sure to sign up for our newsletter to be the first to know.
SERVE provides an opportunity for first year students to engage in a wide variety of meaningful service experiences throughout the Milwaukee community. This program takes place in the spring semester.
SERVE is a cohort of 20 first year students who volunteer, learn, and reflect together. Each participant is required to participate in at least five volunteer opportunities, which are available at a variety of times and working with a variety of nonprofits and social justice issues. At each site, you will have the opportunity to learn about the agency’s mission and history, the populations it serves, and more ways to get involved. In addition to the service requirement, you will attend a weekend retreat and bimonthly reflection sessions to reflect on your experiences, discuss community needs, and learn about social justice through positive and meaningful dialogue.
Here are a few of the sites SERVE has gone to in the past:
- Penfield Children’s Center
- St. Hyacinth
- Fourth Street Forum
- Urban Ecology Center
- St. Ann’s Rest Home
Why Join SERVE?
- Build a community with other first-year students who care about service
- Explore ways to volunteer throughout your time at Marquette
- Learn about Marquette’s Jesuit culture of service, being men and women for and with others, solidarity, and kinship
- Learn about how social justice issues like stereotypes, inequality, and privilege relate to our service
- Reflect on our diverse experiences of service and how we feel called to serve
- Explore Milwaukee neighborhoods and nonprofits
Expectations of SERVE Participants
Volunteers are expected to commit to attending at least 5 of the 20 offered service opportunities throughout the semester (often on weekends or evenings), 90 minute evening reflections every other week throughout the fall semester, and a weekend retreat in September. The success of the program relies on the participants’ attendance!
Please contact the Center for Community Service for additional information or questions at email@example.com.