Dr. Sukanya LodhMarquette University
Wehr Life Sciences, 412MilwaukeeWI53201United States of America(414) firstname.lastname@example.org
Visiting Assistant Professor
B.S. Lady Brabourne College, Calcutta University, Kolkata, India
M.Sc., Calcutta University
Ph.D. The University of Vermont, Burlington, VT
Post-doctoral Fellow 2012-2015, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Nutrition, Baltimore, MD
Scientist, UW Madison, School of Medicine, Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism.
Rare disorders can serve as useful models to understand the pathways of more common diseases. Ciliopathies are one of such rare disorders where disease phenotype arise from defects in the formation and/or function of cilia. I am fascinated by the importance of the small organelle for the survival of unicellular ciliates to the development of multicellular organisms. Except some differentiated cell types mostly all human cell types contain a primary cilium and as a researcher I find this field to have tremendous potential to investigate the role of cilia in the development and functioning of those cells.
My research interest lies in pancreatic β-cell development and regeneration, with specific focus on ciliopathy proteins and to expand my knowledge of cilia biology to problems in human disease namely diabetes, obesity, and cystic kidney.
- Nesmith, J. E. , Hostelley, T. L., Leitch, C., Matern, M. S., Sethna, S., McFarland, R., Lodh, S., Westlake, C. J., Hertzano, R., Ahmed, Z. M., Zaghloul, N.A. Genomic knockout of alms1 in zebrafish recapitulates Alstrom syndrome and provides insight into metabolic phenotypes. PLoS genetics (Accepted) 2018 Oct.
- Prieto-Echague, V., Lodh, S., Colman, L., Bobba, N., Santos, L., Katsanis, N., Escande, C., Zaghloul, N.A., Badano, J.L. BBS4 regulates the expression and secretion of FSTL1, a protein that participates in ciliogenesis and the differentiation of 3T3-L1. Scientific reports, 2017 August 29;7(1)9765. PMID:28852127.
- Lodh, S., Yano, J., Valentine, S. M., Van-Houten, JL. Voltage-Gated Calcium Channels of Paramecium Journal of Experimental Biology, 2016 Oct 1;219(Pt 19):3028-3038. PMID:27707864. Featured in “Inside JEB” section of the Journal.
- Hostelley, T. L., Lodh, S., Zaghloul, N.A. Whole organism transcriptome analysis of zebrafish models of Bardet-Biedl Syndrome and Alström Syndrome provides mechanistic insight into shared and divergent phenotypes. BMC genomics, 2016 May 3;17:318. PMID:27142762
- Lodh, S., Hostelley, T., Leitch, C., O’Hare, E.A., Zaghloul, N.A. Differential effects on β-cell mass by disruption of Bardet-Biedl Syndrome or Alstrom Syndrome genes. Human Molecular Genetics, 2015 Jan 1;25(1):57-68. PMID:26494903.
- Leitch, C.C., Lodh, S., Prieto-Echague, V., Badano, J.L., Zaghloul, N.A. Basal body proteins regulate Notch signaling via endosomal sorting. Journal of Cell Science, 2014 Jun 1;127(Pt 11): 2407-19. PMID:24681783.
- Lodh, S., O’Hare, E.A., Zaghloul, N.A. Primary cilia in pancreatic development and disease (Invited Review). Birth Defects Res C Embryo Today. 2014 Jun;102(2):139-58. PMID: 24864023.