All Marquette F-1 students and J-1 students and scholars/researchers along with their J-2 dependents are required to purchase acceptable health insurance throughout their program (excluding post-completion OPT for F-1 students) at Marquette via Marquette’s international student group insurance program and have documented their ability to pay for this insurance as part of qualifying for their MU I-20 or DS-2019.* Students and scholars will automatically be enrolled in the plan before arrival and coverage will start on the first day of the month in which the the program begins. Charges for the first period of coverage are payable upon arrival. Charges for subsequent periods of insurance coverage are payable before the start of each new coverage period. (Normal coverage periods for the plan are January through July and August through December.) Billing details will be available before the start of each coverage period via the MU account for students and via an email from OIE for scholars/ researchers. 

Health care coverage via Marquette’s international student group insurance program may be extended for up to 90 days beyond the normal end of the coverage if extended coverage is purchased with 31 days of the expiration date of regular coverage via the individual's MyAccount portal

Special note for J-1 Scholars/Researchers:  If you will be employed by Marquette as part of your J-1 program, your host department may pay for a portion of your health insurance costs in light of the fact that Marquette's standard employee health insurance plan does not meet the J-1 regulatory requirements for health insurance. You will be responsible for any cost not covered by your host department.

*Health Insurance Exemptions:

Only F-1 international students with alternate U.S. health insurance coverage through a government sponsor or through a parent or spouse employed in the U.S. can be exempt from the Marquette plan. Exemptions must be approved by the Office of International Education (OIE) in advance. Any exemption requests made after the start of the semester won't go into effect until the following semester. Students approved for practical training or academic training with an option for insurance coverage cannot be waived or exempted from the insurance plan. Any student who withdraws from all courses or the university during the semester will still be responsible for health insurance charges.

To request a health insurance waiver, please fill out the Health Insurance Waiver Request form, and send the form, along with a copy of your health insurance card, to

Insurance Plan Details

The Marquette international student group insurance plan is managed by UnitedHealthcare Student Resources. A detailed description of the plan is available on the Marquette Risk Management website. (See links for International Student and Scholar Health Insurance.)

The plan provides coverage for vision and dental services for minor children only. It does not provide these services for persons 18 years of age or older.

Insurance Calendar and Enrollment

Each insurance year begins on August 1 and ends on the following July 31. The insurance policy is subject to change each August.

Students and scholars who are enrolled in the plan receive email confirmation from UnitedHealthcare. The enrollment message gives instructions on setting up a MyAccount portal. MyAccount is used for insurance information, claims, viewing and printing insurance ID cards.

Enrollment dates for scholars and their dependents coincide with their program dates in the U.S. 

Enrollment periods for F-1 students:

  • Fall: August-December (for 5 months)
  • Spring/summer: January-July (for 7 months).

Students, including those who graduate in May, must be enrolled in the insurance plan for the full period. It is not possible to adjust the enrollment to accommodate a departure before the end of an enrollment period. Students who will graduate in the summer will be enrolled for the month of August.


Student charges are added to their Bursar account for payment with fall and spring tuition and can be viewed in CheckMarq. 

Scholars are required to pay for their insurance and insurance for their dependents upon arrival in the U.S. with a Marquette Form DS-2019 and J-1 or J-2 status. Payment will be made online using a credit card. Renewal of coverage must be paid in a timely manner.

Using the Insurance and Insurance Cards

Insurance cards are issued (electronically) each August for the new policy year. Students and scholars can view and print their insurance ID card by logging into their MyAccount portal. The insurance card should be presented whenever visiting a doctor or health care provider. It should also be presented to the pharmacist when presenting a doctor’s written order for medicine.

If there are any claims pending from a previous policy year (prior to August 1), the previous insurance card should be retained by the student or scholar until all claims for that year have been settled.

Dependent coverage

Marquette F-1 students with dependent family members in the United States may also enroll their dependents in the international plan. A dependent is defined as a lawful spouse or dependent child under age 26. See your MyAccount portal for enrollment information. 

OIE does not monitor dependent coverage for F-1 students; it is the responsibility of the F-1 student to maintain continuous enrollment of their dependents.


Finding Medical Care

Students and scholars should use the Marquette University Medical Clinic. Dependents are not eligible for care at the Marquette Medical Clinic. The Medical Clinic will bill your UHC Student Resources International insurance for services, the majority of services are covered. If you are referred to or choose to use an outside facility such as a specialist, urgent care, emergency room or private doctor, you are responsible for any payment for services obtained at these other facilities. Take a copy of your insurance card with you. Before you go, contact your insurance company to determine which facility/doctor is covered by your insurance.

Marquette University Medical Clinic Main 
Schroeder Health Complex, lower level
540 N. 16th St.
Milwaukee, WI 53233
Phone: (414) 288-7184  

If your medical needs require services beyond the scope of what the Marquette University Medical Clinic is able to provide, they will refer you to specialists in the Milwaukee area who have the training, facilities, and technology to provide further care. You are responsible for any payment for services obtained at these other facilities. Common referrals and specialists in the area can be found at

When the Marquette clinic is closed, students should contact the NurseDirect Helpline at 1-855-839-5121. This after-hours nurse line is available when the MU Medical Clinic is closed and is free of charge for all Marquette students. Students calling NurseDirect will be able to speak with a registered nurse, ask health and medical questions, and have their concerns addressed in a confidential manner.  If NurseDirect suggests seeking care at an Urgent Care or the Emergency Room, you are responsible for payment for services obtained at these facilities. Take a copy of your insurance card with you. Before you go contact your insurance company to determine which facility is covered by your insurance.

Urgent Care Clinics

Medical care for common ailments (e.g. bad colds, ear infections, sore throats, etc.) and for other routine non-emergency care for adults and children, can be obtained in local urgent care clinics. You are responsible for payment for services obtained at these facilities. For a listing of local clinics, visit the Marquette University Medical Clinic website. The hours of operation vary by clinic - some are open 7 days per week, 24 hours per day. These are "walk-in" clinics, no appointment necessary.

Private Doctor

To find a listing of doctors in the Preferred Provider Network, go to your MyAccount portal. Click on "Find Provider". To see a private doctor, appointments are required. You are responsible for payment for services obtained at these facilities.

Serious Emergencies or Trauma

To call an ambulance or the police dial 911.  Marquette University Police Department can be reached at 414-288-1911. Hospital emergency rooms are for serious emergencies (e.g., broken limbs, trouble breathing, head trauma, loss of blood, dehydration, etc.). See the Marquette University Medical Clinic website for the name and location of the hospital emergency room closest to campus. You are responsible for any payment for services obtained at these other facilities.

Dental and Vision Care

Dental and vision care services are not covered by the insurance for adults 18 years or older nor are such services provided at the Marquette University Medical Clinic. Students and scholars and their dependents must find such providers on their own and pay for the services.

For a list of local specialists, please see

Dental care is available through the Marquette University Dental School and affiliated dental clinics. Please see the Dental School patients' website for further information and instructions on becoming a patient at the Dental School.  A listing of affiliated clinics can be found online.

It is important to note that the services of the Dental School or affiliated clinics are not free of charge; students and scholars must pay for the services. 


Questions About Insurance Benefits/Coverage

Questions about what the policy covers should be directed to UnitedHealthcare Customer Service at 1-800-767-0700 or


Questions about claims should be directed to UnitedHealthcare Customer Service at 1-800-767-0700 or You can check your claim status and Explanation of Benefits (EOB) in your MyAccount portal