F-1 Students Forms and Procedures

For any form listed, students can print, complete, and submit the forms to OIE. Students are welcome to schedule an appointment with their OIE advisor to discuss their individual situation or to ensure they are maintaining their F-1 status. Most OIE forms require two (2) business days for processing.

Address Change Form

Students with F-1 status are required to notify OIE within 10 days of any change in their residence address so that the SEVIS database will be updated in a timely manner. To update your address in SEVIS complete the SEVIS Change of Address Form (pdf) form below. Remember to also update your address in the Marquette database by using CheckMarq.

Back to top

Certification Letter

For current students that need a proof of enrollment, please complete the form linked below and submit it to OIE.

Back to top


Dependents (F-2 status) are the spouse and/or children under age 21 of F-1 students in valid status.

Students who wish to have their spouse and/or children join them in the United States will need to submit the form below. The official cost-of-living estimate for a spouse is $11,700 per year and the estimate for a child is $6,000 per year (with spouse present). Once all of the information is received, the Marquette DSO will issue an I-20 Form for the dependent(s). In addition, health insurance is strongly encouraged for dependents.

Back to top

Extension of Stay

Students who will not complete their program in the time designated on their Form I-20 can seek an extension from a Marquette DSO. Extensions are generally granted during the semester that ends on the student’s current I-20 completion date. A student is eligible for an extension if s/he has (1) continuously maintained F-1 status and (2) the delays are caused by compelling academic or medical reasons, such as change of major or research topic, unexpected research problems or documented illness. Delays caused by academic probation or suspension are not acceptable reasons for program extensions. To apply for an extension, your OIE advisor will need to receive the following:

  • Proof of financial support to cover tuition and living expenses during the period of the extension. For example, this may be a signed letter from your financial sponsor, personal bank account information, assistantship award letter, etc.
  • Completed Extension of Stay Form (linked below) completed by your academic advisor
  • Valid passport
  • Proof of financial support for any dependents

Please schedule an appointment with your OIE advisor to complete the extension at least two (2) weeks BEFORE your current completion date (as listed on your Form I-20). Bring the items listed above to your appointment. If appropriate, the DSO will issue you a new I-20 Form with the new completion date.

Back to top

I-94 Verification

As of April 30, 2013, the U.S. Customs and Broder Protection automated the I-94 process for visitors entering the U.S. by air. The CBP officer will stamp your passport when you enter the U.S., but you will not receive a Form I-94 (the small white card). Please make sure that the CBP stamp in your passport is legible with your entry date and visa type.

You can verify your I-94 number and print your entry details at the CBP website: www.cbp.gov/i94. This information may be necessary for future on-campus employment, OPT applications, applying for a driver's license, etc.

Back to top

Invitation Letter

Students wishing to invite family and friends to visit them in the United States should complete the form linked below and submit it to OIE.

Back to top

Leave of Absence

Students who must withdraw completely from the university should request written approval from a DSO before withdrawing. In very unusual situations, a student may have to withdraw from the university before the end of the term. If the student receives written approval from the DSO before withdrawing, the student will have 15 days of legal status to depart from the United States. But if the student withdraws without the DSO’s written approval, the student will lose F-1 status as soon as he or she withdraws.

Students who request a leave of absence should also meet with their academic advisor to learn the process for their College or Department.

Back to top

Online and Distance Learning Courses

If an F-1 visa student wants to take a class that is 100% online or distance learning, no more than the equivalent of one class or three credits can count toward the requirement for full-time enrollment. Online or distance learning courses do not require physical attendance for classes, examinations or other purposes integral to completion of the class. For example, an undergraduate student registered for 12 credits can only take one course or 3 credits as a distance learning course. A graduate student who is registered for 7 credits can take only one course or 3 credits as a distance learning course.

Back to top

Reduced Course Load

Students who may need to be enrolled for less than the minimum credit hours (12 credits for undergraduates, 7 credits or equivalent for graduates) must first contact a DSO at OIE to learn whether or not an exception is legally possible in their situation. These exceptions are:

  • Medical conditions
  • Academic difficulties due to improper course level placement, initial difficulties with English language, or unfamiliarity with teaching methods
  • Completion of studies at the end of the semester

F-1 students must have approval in advance and in writing from a DSO before they become a part-time student. To request a reduced course load, please complete the form below and bring it, along with any required documentation to OIE. Students requesting a reduced course load should meet with their OIE advisor to discuss their situation. Students in their last semester of study are not required to meet with their OIE advisor.

Students who become part-time without receiving prior approval will lose their F-1 status.

Back to top


A student who violates (or loses) their F-1 status can apply to USCIS for reinstatement to F-1 status. Students who have violated F-1 status should meet with an OIE advisor as soon as possible after the violation occurs to discuss their individual situation so they can decide the best course of action.

Back to top

Shorten Program

If you will complete all program requirements before the end date listed on your I-20 Form, use the form below to request a revision.

Back to top

Transfer to Another U.S. University

Students wishing to study at another US university or college – either before or after completing their program of study at Marquette – will need to transfer their SEVIS record to the college/university where they have received admission and wish to enroll. Students can complete the form linked below and bring it to OIE. They are also welcome to meet with an OIE advisor to discuss their individual situation.

Back to top

Transcript Request

Students, alumni and former students needing an official Marquette transcript (or proof of program completion) should visit the Marquette Central website. The Office of International Education does not issue transcripts or proof of program completion.

Back to top

Travel Outside the U.S.

F-1 students who will be returning to the United States after a brief absence to continue their studies or authorized OPT should obtain an endorsement (signature) from a Marquette DSO on page 2 of their Form I-20 prior to departing the U.S. The DSO signature indicates that the student continues to be in legal F-1 status as a Marquette student and can return to resume their studies. A travel signature on your I-20 is valid for one year, if you have otherwise maintained F-1 status.

To obtain a DSO’s signature, students should complete the form linked below and return it to OIE with their current Form I-20 and passport one to two weeks before they plan to leave the U.S. An appointment is not needed.

Dependents of F-1 visa holders can travel with the F-1 visa holder or separately and should obtain an endorsement (signature) from a Marquette DSO on page 2 of their Form I-20 prior to departing the U.S. The DSO signature indicates that the principal F-1 student continues to be in legal F-1 status as a Marquette student. An appointment is not needed.

Students needing a visa to visit or transit through another country should research the requirements of that country in advance of their travel and make all necessary arrangements to meet the requirements of that country’s government.

Visa Renewal

Students with an expired F-1 visa will need to apply for a new F-1 visa at a US Embassy or Consulate prior to their re-entry to the U.S. (Visas cannot be issued or renewed in the U.S.) The visa application process can differ from country to country so it is important to research the process at the embassy or consulate where you will apply. Visit the State Department website for more information.

Remember that a valid F-1 visa is required upon entry to the United States. However, the visa can expire while you are in the U.S. as long as you have a valid Form I-20 and are maintaining F-1 status.

Travel to Canada, Mexico, or Adjacent Islands Without a Valid F-1 Visa

Most students with an expired F-1 visa can re-enter the U.S. when returning from a visit of less than thirty days to Canada, Mexico, or one of the islands adjacent to the United States (other than Cuba). They must possess a valid Form I-20 with DSO endorsement on Page 2. This process is known as automatic visa revalidation.

Students who meet any one of following criteria, will not be able to automatically revalidate their visa.

  • Applied for a new visa (in Canada, Mexico or islands) and it has not been issued
  • Applied for a new visa (in Canada, Mexico or islands) and were denied
  • Have a terminated SEVIS record indicating that you are out of status
  • Have been out of the United States for more than thirty days
  • Is a citizen of Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan or Syria

Resources for Travel

A list of frequently asked questions and responses related to travel can be found on the U.S. Customs and Immigration Enforcement website.

Information about visas for Canada can be found on the Government of Canada website.

Back to top