Liturgical Choir Accompanist
Each year, the Marquette University Liturgical Choir, a fifty to sixty member ensemble, hires an accompanist. Responsibilities include accompanying for weekly rehearsals and masses, all-university masses, and two annual concerts.
The Marquette University Liturgical Choir Accompanist is a paid position available through the Office of Campus Ministry. A $4,000 stipend will be awarded to a Marquette undergraduate or graduate student exhibiting strong piano and improvisational skills, sight-reading ability, and a proficient level of choral score reading ability. The position can be renewed on a yearly basis.
For more information regarding the availability of the position, contact Tom Koester, Director of Music in Campus Ministry, at (414) 288-3695 or via email.
- Current Marquette undergraduate or graduate student
- 3.0 minimum grade point average
- Extensive piano background required (seven to ten years of lessons including study of classical repertoire)
- High level of sight-reading ability
- Proficiency in reading a choral score
- Improvisational skills and/or an understanding and working knowledge of fundamental music theory
- Experience playing for Catholic liturgies preferred, but not required
Audition and Interview
Auditions are required of all applicants and will be held in early May for the following academic year. Applicants will be contacted about scheduling an audition time upon receipt of the completed application. Applications are typically due mid-April. A short interview will follow the audition. The audition will consist of the following:
- Prepare and play two contrasting pieces from either the Baroque, Classical,
- Romantic, or 20th Century eras. These pieces do not need to be from memory.
- Student will be asked to sight-read and improvise on three pieces used in liturgical settings. Pieces will be contrasting in style (i.e., gospel, strophic hymn, verse/refrain)
- Student will be asked to improvise on one piece given only the chords and melody line.
- Student will be asked to play a simple choral score example.
Accompany for the following:
- 4 p.m. Sunday mass at the Church of the Gesu and rehearsal one hour before the mass
- Wednesday evening choir rehearsal from 5-7 p.m.
- Large, All-University Liturgies and rehearsals for these liturgies, including:
- Mass of the Holy Spirit
- Family Weekend
- All Saints Day
- Mid-Year Baccalaureate
- Ash Wednesday
- Palm Sunday
- Liturgical Choir Christmas and spring concerts and dress rehearsals
- Parish outreach – September and January retreat mass
- Other special liturgies as needed