COVID-19 Updates for International Students & Scholars

The Office of International Education is concerned for the well-being of each student and visiting scholar in the Marquette community.

If you need medical care or have questions about the virus, the Marquette University Medical Clinic has FAQs and other resources.  Please also monitor Marquette Today for the latest updates about university policies. 

We know that these are uncertain times, and the OIE staff is here to help you. Contact OIE if you have questions or concerns. Continue to watch your Marquette email for updates from OIE and other Marquette offices.  

Expand all   |   Collapse all  

March 27 - Care and Resources for your wellbeing

Dear Student,

The Coronavirus pandemic has, for a while at least, resulted in significant changes to our daily routines … from the way we go to class or work, to where we live and who we can spend time with, to how we get our food.  Some of you may also have heard about or experienced acts of discrimination.  Experiences like these can cause stress, frustration, loneliness, even anger. 

During these unusual times, we strongly encourage you to make extra effort to care for yourself and those around you.  You can start to do this with simple actions like eating well, getting enough sleep, exercising and staying in touch with family and friends.  And the Marquette community is here for you, too.  When you have questions or need assistance, you can contact the appropriate resource from the list below: 

Physical and Mental Health Resources

  • Counseling Center:   Offering phone meetings to support mental health.  Common topics include stress management, career planning, anxiety, feelings of isolation, depression, alcohol & drugs and relationship issues.  Call 414-288-7172 for an appointment.  After 4:30 pm and on weekends call the MU Police Department at 414-288-1911 and to talk to the on-call counselor.
  • MU Medical Clinic:   Open Mondays through Fridays from 8:30 am to 4:00 pm by appointment only.  Call 414-288-7184 to make an appointment.  After hours, call NurseDirect at 855-839-5121 or 800-362-9900 with health-related questions to speak confidentially with a registered nurse free of charge.
  • Health insurance:  If you are enrolled in the Marquette international insurance, the plan offers comprehensive coverage for illness, including COVID-19.  If you are feeling sick and in Milwaukee, remember to contact the MU Medical Clinic first, if possible.  Your health insurance also has a Teledoc 24/7 virtual resource to talk to a doctor.  If you have questions about your health insurance, visit your MyAccount portal, contact UnitedHealthcare Customer Service at 800-767-0700 or  Or contact Conor McKeon at .
  • Residence Life:  If you are now living in a residence hall, be sure to stay in contact with your hall director about housing and meal service.  If you are not living in your residence hall room now, follow the communication sent about moving your belongings from your room.  Contact ORL at or 414-288-7208.

Academic and Study Resources

  • How to Be a Successful Online Student   Best practices and strategies to succeed in online classes
  • Raynor Memorial Libraries   Book check out is not available at this time, but the Library continues to offer a range of services including: scanning materials, renewal, email, chat and virtual consultation
  • Online Learning Support: A research guide to help you find, access, and navigate online materials available through the library.
  • Student Educational Services:  Tutoring and academic coaching online and over the phone as well as study and test taking tips.
  • Writing Center:  One-on-one meetings at any stage of the writing process about grammar, style, syntax, drafting and revising.  Online and over the phone call 414-288-5542 or sign up online.
  • Your Academic Advisor & Professors:   Advice on class topics, notes, class performance as well as College policies and procedures.  Stay in touch with them!  They want to hear from you during this time.

University Updates: 

OIE Assistance

  • Office of International Education:  We can provide guidance about your F-1 or J-1 legal status and related processes like OPT, CPT, program extensions, etc.   Also, please contact us if you have any specific needs related to your financial situation, health and safety during this time.  We are here to help you!

To make an appointment with an OIE advisor, call 414-288-7289 or email us at:

March 24 – Travel Update for International Students

Dear Students,

As you know, Marquette will continue remote learning through the end of the spring semester.  Here is a link to the latest information: Marquette Coronavirus.

You may be deciding whether to stay in the United States during this time.  We know this is a difficult decision and maybe you do not have the option to return home.  We encourage you to make the decision that is best for you and your family.

DSO travel signature on your Form I-20

Departing the U.S. does not require a travel signature on your I-20.   However, when you re-enter the U.S. to continue your Marquette program, your I-20 must have a travel signature from an OIE advisor (DSO) on page two.  The DSO signature on page two is valid for one year.  You do not need a new DSO signature if you will reenter the U.S. within 12 months from the date of the last DSO signature.

If you need a DSO travel signature for your reentry to the U.S.

OIE in Holthusen Hall is closed and we cannot meet you face to face, but we will arrange to sign your Form I-20 with the travel signature.  If you are already outside the U.S. or will be leaving within the next two weeks, we will send a reprinted I-20 to you after you have returned home.  If you are leaving later, we will try to provide your signed I-20 before you leave Milwaukee.  Watch for more information about how to request an I-20 with a travel signature.  OIE will send these instructions within the next two weeks.  

Applying for an F-1 visa to re-enter the U.S.

If you are outside the U.S. and if your F-1 visa has or will expire before you return to the U.S., you will need to renew your visa at the U.S. embassy or consulate abroad.  As of March 20, the U.S.  government has suspended all visa appointments.  We do not know when visa appointments will resume.  If your F-1 visa has expired, keep this in mind as you decide about leaving the U.S.

Some considerations if you leave Milwaukee

  • Bring all of your important documents such as passport, Form I-20 (including “old” forms”), ID cards and licenses, Social Security card, etc
  • Have access to contacts for your bank account, apartment manager, etc.  
  • Inform your residence hall director if you are living on campus, and arrange for your move out.
  • If you live off campus, contact your apartment manager.  You may want to ask a friend or neighbor to check on your apartment while you are away.  If you want the US postal service to hold your mail, you can sign up with the USPS:  Hold Mail
  • Remember that you may need to make some payments for rent, electricity, phone, etc. while you are away. 

If you need a place to store your belongings while you are away from Milwaukee, here are Storage Options in Milwaukee.

Your visa status during remote learning and the remainder of the semester

Your F-1 visa status will remain active as long as you are enrolled at Marquette for the spring semester.  This means your visa status will continue if you stay in the U.S. or if you are outside the U.S.  If you are thinking about dropping any classes or withdrawing from all classes, contact an OIE advisor before you take these actions.

Students who are graduating in May 2020 and/or have a May ending date on your Form I-20

We will send another message to you soon about arrangements and procedures for applying for OPT or extending your I-20 end date.  

OIE Assistance

All Marquette campus offices, including OIE, are closed, but we are available to help you.  We suggest contacting us by email or calling OIE at 414-288-7289 to arrange a phone appointment.   

OIE Advisors for international students and scholars:

We know that these are uncertain times but we are here to help you.   Continue to watch your Marquette email for updates from OIE.

March 12 – Information from OIE for International Students

Dear Students,

You recently received information from Marquette leadership about campus changes due to COVID-19. Here is a link to the latest message: Marquette Today.

We want to clarify some important implications for international students:

Campus Housing

Residence Halls: The university will allow students who are currently residing in campus residence halls to return to campus on March 15 and live on campus. Housing will be provided on the Marquette campus during the upcoming weeks. The exact location of housing is yet to be determined.  You will receive more information from Residence Life. However, take these important steps to inform the university about your plans:

  •  If you will return to campus on March 15 or after March 15 and will stay in a residence hall, please complete the form in the message and below.  When answering the question “Please describe the circumstances that require you to return to campus on March 15”, write “International Student”.

Students whose circumstances require them to live on campus should fill out this form so that we can communicate directly with them about proper protocols and provide appropriate support.

  • If you will not live in your residence hall and are choosing to live in another place, and if you need to retrieve some of your personal items, you can retrieve your items on March 15 between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m.  Staff will provide direction at the hall front desk.

Campus-Owned Apartments:  If you are currently living in Campus Town West or East, McCabe, The Marq or other campus-owned apartment, you may remain in your campus-owned apartment.  The apartment buildings will not close and you do not need to leave your apartment.  Watch for further information from your building manager or you can contact Eric Hetland in Residence Life at with questions.

Off-campus housing

If you have other living arrangements in Milwaukee and have a problem continuing your stay because of the health situation, please contact an OIE advisor.

Return to Milwaukee from International and U.S. travel

Any faculty, student or staff who has traveled internationally (including cruise ship travel) or from any domestic states with known community transmission MUST SELF-QUARANTINE for 14 days before returning to campus. Those who are 14 days symptom free may return to campus. You can work and learn online per university policy.  Visitors to Marquette are being asked to follow these same guidelines. 

If you do not have a place to stay during your self-quarantine, please notify an OIE advisor.  If you are presently outside the U.S. and will not return to Milwaukee in the near future, please contact an OIE advisor.

Your Visa Status During On-line Classes

The U.S. government and the Department of Homeland Security have issued new guidance for universities who enroll F-1 and J-1 visa students.  Based on this guidance, Marquette’s decision to change to on-line courses will not impact your visa status while you remain enrolled as a full-time Marquette student.  We will provide more information as it becomes available.

OIE Assistance

The university will remain open during this time and the services of Office of International Education staff are available to you.  We suggest contacting us by email or calling OIE at 414-288-7289 if you have questions or to arrange an appointment.

OIE Advisors for international students and scholars: