- Current Students Home
- Forms & Procedures
- Health Insurance
- Maintaining Your F-1 Student Status
- Student Employment
- Get Involved
- OIE Adviser Directory
Obtaining On-Campus Employment
Marquette F-1 students are authorized to work on the Marquette campus. In general, jobs which are considered to be "on-campus employment" are paid from Marquette University funds and performed on Marquette University property. Employment is limited to 20 hours per week when school is in session and may be full-time during school vacations.
How to Obtain On-Campus Employment
- Begin by logging in to the student employment database called JobConnection using your CheckMarq username and password.
- After you have received an offer of employment from a campus employer, read the Federal Regulations about on-campus employment and complete the following form:
- Form I-20
- Apply for a Social Security number from the Social Security Administration office in downtown Milwaukee, if you do not already have a number.
- On your first day of work, complete the Form I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification Form.
- If you are a Teaching Assistant or Research Assistant, go to the Graduate School, Holthusen Hall, room 305 to complete the I-9 form and other forms. Bring the eligibility memo you received from OIE.
- All other students should go to MU Central (Zilber Hall) to complete the
I-9 form. Bring the eligibility memo you received from OIE. Also bring the JobConnection Placement form you received from your on-campus employer.
- If this is your first on-campus job, you must contact the MU Payroll Dept. within three (3) days of your first day of work. Send an email with your first and last name and your MUID to email@example.com. Send this email from your MU email address.
- Upon receiving your email, the Payroll Dept. will set up an account for you in the Glacier Online Tax Compliance System. Once this is done, you will receive an email from firstname.lastname@example.org containing your assigned username and password with a link to the system (when you access the system for the first time, you may change your password if desired). Glacier will analyze your status, length of stay and home country to pinpoint any income tax treaty benefits available for you. You must complete the information requested in Glacier as part of your hiring process regardless of whether you believe treaty benefits are available.
- This tax compliance process will ask you for your Social Security number. If you do not have a Social Security number when you begin this process, you will need to go back to the portal and add your number as soon as you have received it.
- Once you have completed the process (including your Social Security number), Glacier generates a final summary page explaining which documents you must print from the system and which of your personal documents you should copy.
- Present the summary page, the documents you have printed and the copies of your personal documents (in-person) to the MU Payroll Office. Please bring your original passport, Form I-20, I-94 Verification and Social Security card as well as the copies you have made when you visit the Payroll Dept., which is located in Straz Tower, Suite 175, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Please direct questions about Glacier access to one of the following in the MU Payroll Dept.: Bob Krenzke, 414-288-5136 or Michelle Evert Cook, (414) 288-7484.