Policies & Procedures

Official Policy Document (including Grievance Procedure)

Disability Documentation Forms

To assist treating professionals in documenting students' disabilities, Disability Documentation Forms can be found here: Documentation Forms

These downloadable forms can be completed by your physician, psychologist, psychiatrist or other appropriate treating professional to provide appropriate documentation of your disability. Make sure you have a release on file with your treating professional(s) so that they can fill out the form.

The forms can be returned to Disability Services via fax at (414) 288-5799, or mailed to Office of Disability Services, P.O. Box 1881, Marquette University, Milwaukee, WI 53201-1881.

Pre-Arrival Accommodation Requests

Most classroom and other accommodations can be approved with minimal lead-time to ensure that they are available when they are needed however, several more-commonly requested accommodations do necessitate additional time for coordination. If you have concerns about receiving an accommodation in a timely manner, please reach out to ODS for guidance on when a specific accommodation should be requested. Considerations for alternatively-formatted media, housing adjustments, and priority course selection are examples of modifications that need to be requested as early as possible rather than after a student arrives on campus to begin classes.

Statement on Service Animals

A service animal is defined as either a dog or miniature horse that is trained to work or perform a specific task for the benefit of an individual with a disability, which may include a physical, sensory, psychiatric, and/or other intellectual disabilities. Service animals are not required to wear any sort of special collar, vest, harness, or ID card, although they may.

The following expectations are to be upheld by any service animal on campus or removal of the animal may be warranted:

  • The animal must be in control of the handler (though not necessarily by use of a leash) at all times. This means that the animal will respond to commands from the handler, will act respectfully and professionally towards humans and other animals.
  • The service animal must be housebroken and well groomed.
  • The animal can go anywhere that humans are allowed with the exception of situations that may compromise safety or program objectives.

If it is unclear whether the animal is a Service Animal (there is no harness, they are distracted from their owner, or it is acting disruptively) you are allowed to ask the following two questions:

  • Is the animal required because of a disability?
  • What work or task has the animal been trained to perform?

Beyond the above two questions, if questions remain about the appropriateness of a service animal generally, or in a specific setting, the concerned party should contact the Office of Disability Services immediately but should not ask for the removal of the animal.

The following interactions regarding Service Animals are not permitted:

  • Petting or interacting with the animal as if it were a pet. These animals are trained to be focused on their owners, and are considered to be working.
  • Asking further questions if it is clear that the animal is a Service Animal
  • Asking for any kind of documentation including certification, training or licensing
  • Asking to have the animal demonstrate the service

If you have any questions about the presence of a Service Animal on campus, please contact the Office of Disability Services at (414) 288-1645.

Parking Accommodations

Individuals with a state-issued disability parking hang-tags are not automatically provided with a University parking permit. Students are expected to engage in the parking permit lottery process if they would like a parking permit.

A student who may otherwise be excluded from the permit lottery (most often students who are living in University residence halls), who also may require access to a personal vehicle to manage disability-related needs is encouraged to contact ODS to explore what accommodations may be appropriate.

Studying Abroad

Students interested in studying abroad are encouraged to contact the Office of Office of International Education (OIE). OIE can provide information about the availability of accommodations and accessible facilities at various study abroad programs. Laws regarding disability and public facility access vary by country. It is important students recognize that OIE cannot guarantee all study abroad programs will be accessible. However, OIE can assist students in exploring other possible study abroad programs that will meet their needs. Any student who anticipates needing accommodations should provide appropriate documentation to the Office of Disability Services (ODS). Documentation guidelines are located on the ODS Forms page. Once students have provided sufficient documentation, ODS will advise OIE on guidelines for reasonable accommodations and then OIE will work with students to ensure the study abroad site students choose is capable of meeting their needs and/or to identify an alternate location.

Temporary Impairment

Marquette University is committed to supporting the academic success of all students, but recognizes that certain life events may inhibit this process. Students who experience temporary impairments such as broken bones, temporary illnesses, and/or are recovering from surgery or medical conditions may not be substantially limited enough to be considered as having a disability, however, the Office of Disability Services may be able to provide some assistance and referrals in these situations.

ODS staff will guide students through the collection of any necessary documentation, and are available to discuss a student’s needs; helping them to understand that supports that may be available across campus. Please contact ods@marquette.edu or call 414-288-1645 for more information.

MUPD Medical Transport

MUPD is available to assist students with limited medical transportation. For more information, please view the MUPD Medical Transport Policy.