Statement on Human Dignity and Diversity
As a Catholic, Jesuit university, Marquette recognizes and cherishes the dignity of each individual regardless of age, culture, faith, ethnicity, race, gender, sexual orientation, language, disability or social class. Precisely because Catholicism at its best seeks to be inclusive, we are open to all who share our mission and seek the truth about God and the world. Through our admissions and employment policies and practices, our curricular and co-curricular offerings, and our welcoming and caring campus environment, Marquette seeks to become a more diverse and inclusive academic community dedicated to the promotion of justice.
Our commitment to a diverse university community helps us to achieve excellence by promoting a culture of learning, appreciation and understanding. Each member of the Marquette community is charged to treat everyone with care and respect and to value and treasure differences. This call to action is integral to the tradition which we share.
Vision Statement for Institutional Diversity and Inclusion
Grounded in our Catholic, Jesuit mission and Statement on Human Dignity and Diversity, the Office of Institutional Diversity and Inclusion at Marquette University actively works to promote a more diverse, welcoming, and inclusive campus community.
Our vision is a diverse campus environment in which all community members enjoy mutual respect and are actively engaged in the life of the university; our scholarship, teaching and learning are inclusive and reflective of the needs of our diverse world; and we engage in meaningful relationships with diverse communities beyond our campus boundaries. To these ends, the office implements and supports strategic initiatives that:
- Create a pipeline for underrepresented students, faculty and staff.
- Support and empower underrepresented members of our community.
- Contribute to the richness and vitality of campus life by recognizing and celebrating our various identities and experiences.
- Enhance culturally affirming curricula, pedagogy, policies and organizational structures.
- Cultivate a safe community rooted in a culture of consent and mutual respect.
- Provide opportunities for education and leadership around issues of diversity, equity and inclusion for all our campus stakeholders.
- Connect our university to diverse local, regional and global communities, organizations and educational institutions.
- Foster greater equity and social justice on our campus and in our world.
The Office of Institutional Diversity and Inclusion provides leadership for the university on these efforts with the expectation that fostering a more inclusive and equitable community is integrated into the fabric of our university, across every office and department. This is a shared vision and a shared responsibility. The office therefore encourages and supports collaborative efforts initiated by stakeholders across the campus and community partnerships that help us achieve this vision.
Read A More Inclusive Future: a strategic plan for the Office of Institutional Diversity and Inclusion.