An English major prepares you for a wide variety of professions, ranging from law to education, from medicine to business, and practically everything in between. Listed below are just a few career fields you can pursue with an English degree from Marquette.
- Advertising and Public Relations
- Civil Service or Government
- Education (elementary, secondary, or college teaching, advising, etc.)
- Human resource management
- Information systems and Librarianship
- Publishing (editorial, production, content management, sales, etc.)
- Television/Film/Digital Media
- Writing and Editing (copywriting, online content, magazines, etc.)
More than a degree
Through an exciting array of courses in literature, writing, linguistics, and cultural studies, English majors and minors develop skills, perspectives, and knowledge for a lifetime.
Develop Knowledge of:
- Diverse Literatures
- Language, Rhetoric, Logic
- History and Culture
Develop Skills in:
Textual Analysis and Interpretation
Written and Spoken Communication
Study with Award-Winning Faculty
Our 26 full-time faculty members have won:
National Book Awards
University Teaching Awards
College Advising Awards
Student Group Teaching Awards
NEH, ACLS, & FIPSE Grants
Where are they now?
See where graduates of our B.A., M.A., and Ph.D. programs have gone following their academic careers at Marquette:
Learn more about what you can do with a major in English.