Marquette Digital Scholarship Symposium 2017
Marquette University’s third annual Digital Scholarship Symposium took place on September 28, 9:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m. The event, "Digital Scholarship and Community Engagement," begins with a workshop with Dr. Sheila Brennan of George Mason University's Roy Rosenzweig Center for History and New Media and Dr. Sharon Leon of Michigan State University. A lunchtime session spotlighted Marquette faculty involved in engaged scholarship. The afternoon featured two afternoon sessions that provided opportunities for Marquette's digital scholars to plan for the future and to network with other digital scholars both on and off campus. A reception closed out the event.
- Dr. Sheila Brennan: Director of Strategic Initiatives at the Roy Rosenzweig Center for History and New Media and Research Associate Professor in the Department of History and Art History, George Mason University
- Dr. Sharon Leon: Associate Professor of History, Michigan State University
9:00-9:30 a.m.: Coffee and welcome
Dr. Gary Meyer, Senior Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs, and Janice Welburn, Dean of University Libraries, Marquette University.
9:30-11:30 a.m.: Workshop: Digital scholarship and community engagement
Led by Dr. Sheila Brennan, George Mason University, and Dr. Sharon Leon, Michigan State University.
11:30 a.m.-1:00 p.m.: Lunch and "poster"/demonstration session
Showcase of Marquette projects related to community engagement, from a variety of disciplines. Lunch provided.
1:00-2:00 p.m.: Discussion
Led by Dr. James Marten, Professor and Chair, Department of History, Marquette University.
2:00-3:30 p.m.: Networking session
Informal conversations led by Marquette colleagues about the following methods and modes of digital scholarship:
- Community archives: Elizabeth Gibes and Katie Blank
- Scholarly archives: Heather James
- Mapping: Eugenia Afinoguenova
- Programming and databases: Thomas Schwartz and Praveen Madiraju
- Scholarly publication: Jenn Fishman
- Storytelling: James Brust
- Translation: Laura Matthew and Jeanne-Nicole Saint-Laurent
- Visualization: John Ladisa and Scott Dale
3:30-4:30 p.m.: Reception
Hosted by the Office of Faculty Affairs and Raynor Memorial Libraries
- Raynor Memorial Libraries
- Department of History
- Office of the Provost
- Digital Scholarship Working Group
- University Library Board