We understand that the summer term differs greatly from the regular academic year (fall and spring semesters); our office there provides additional flexibility for leasing for the summer term.
Summer Leasing in the University Apartments
While most students choose to start their leases for the fall semester*, summer leases are available to any student renting in the University Apartments for the summer preceding their academic year / fall semester lease.
At the time of the initial leasing signing, students can choose to start their lease in June to secure a spot for the summer term. Alternatively, they can initially choose to start their lease in August, then add on the preceding summer term at a later date.
Summer leases typically begin in mid-June (since spring leases end on May 31st, and our staff needs time to prepare apartments for new move-ins). Temporary residence hall accommodations are typically available beginning during finals week in May, and can be utilized for any amount of time over the summer. This temporary option can be used to bridge the gap between leases both on and off campus. Earlier move-ins to the apartments are accommodated when possible.
*Flexible leasing availability may vary by building.
While the flexible-length leases in the University Apartments are joint leases, the summer term - and summer term alone - is treated as an individual lease. This grants additional flexibility to students whose summer plans may differ from those of their roommates.
During the summer, students in Campus Town, Frenn, and McCabe pay a rental rate equivalent to what they will be paying during the fall semester, regardless of any roommates' plans during the summer. For example:
- Two students are renting a two-bedroom for the academic year (August to May). One roommate would like to rent for the summer. She pays just her half of the rent for the summer.
- Five students are renting a three-bedroom for the fall semester (August to December). Only two need to rent for the summer. They each pay just 2/5 of the total apartment rent during the summer.
Since most students graduate in May, our leasing period is set to align with this time during which most graduating students depart campus; each year's leasing period starts in June and ends the following May. Therefore, summer leasing priority is given to the residents who will be occupying the apartment the following fall semester.
However, if a student is living in an apartment during the spring and wishes to continue through the summer (and move out in August) it may be possible if the future tenants are not planning on leasing the apartment. Individuals must also remain eligible (i.e. continue to be enrolled at the University) for the summer in question. Individual leasing policies still apply during this time.
Towards the end of each spring semester, residents are asked for their move-out plans at the conclusion of their lease. It is at this time that residents can express their interest in extending a lease for the summer.
The summer storage program provides flexibility for returning renters who may have plans outside of Milwaukee during the summer term. In select apartments, and for a reduced fee*, students may leave belongings in their apartment over the summer without fully renting or living in the apartment unit.
Students must be renting the exact same apartment from one year to the next. For example:
- A student rents a McCabe studio for his junior year
- During that time, he re-books his apartment for just the academic terms (fall and spring) of his senior year
- He moves out of the apartment (including returning his keys) during May of his junior year, leaving any belongings in the apartment over the summer.
- He returns to the same apartment in the fall semester of his senior year.
Summer storage is therefore not available to first time renters. In larger apartments (e.g. two- and three-bedrooms), all roommates involved must be eligible and agree to the storage terms; summer storage is not possible if new roommates are added to the apartment booking for the second year.
Please contact our office for more information on summer storage.
Leasing only for the Summer
The University Apartments do not offer summer-only leases. However, there are a number of options for students who are looking for short-term housing over the summer:
- Temporary Housing through the Office of Residence Life - beginning shortly after the end of finals in May, and running just before the start of classes in August, temporary accommodations are available in the Residence Halls on campus. Space can typically be booked for any length of time during this window.
- Guest Apartments through Conference Services - the department of Conference Services works with students and non-students during the summer months to lease out empty spaces on campus. This is typically ideal for students or visitors who may be spending an entire summer in Milwaukee or on campus (for research projects, internships, etc.).
- Apartment Sublets through Rent College Pads - this external website provides listings specifically tailored to the Marquette neighborhood, and allows.
Flexible leasing options are closely interwoven with the individual leasing options and the flexible leasing options. We recommend viewing the following pages for additional context: