My scholarly research explores the complex connections between literary works produced in Britain during the so-called long eighteenth century, from the Restoration to the Romantics, and their historical contexts.
In recent years, I have become interested in textual scholarship, editing the new Norton Critical Editions of Gulliver's Travels and Moll Flanders as well as Samuel Richardson's Pamela novels for The Cambridge Edition of the Works of Samuel Richardson.
- Restoration and Eighteenth-Century British Literature
- Women's Studies
- Restoration and Eighteenth Century British Literature
- Textual Criticism
- The Sentimental Novel in the Eighteenth Century. Cambridge University Press, 2019
- "Samuel Richardson’s Critical Reception since 1900,” in Peter Sabor and Betty Schellenberg, ed., Samuel Richardson in Context (Cambridge University Press, 2017), pp. 72-79.
- Samuel Richardson, Pamela in Her Exalted Condition. Cambridge University Press, 2012.
- Samuel Richardson, Pamela: or, Virtue Rewarded. Cambridge University Press, 2011.
- Daniel Defoe, Moll Flanders. Norton Critical Edition, 2004.
- Jonathan Swift, Gulliver's Travels. Norton Critical Edition, 2002.
- Critical Essays on Henry Fielding. G. K. Hall, 1998.
- Augustan Subjects: Essays in Honor of Martin C. Battestin. University of Delaware Press, 1997.
- New Essays on Samuel Richardson. St. Martin's Press/Macmillan, UK, 1996.
- The Plays of Henry Fielding: A Critical Study of His Dramatic Career. University Press of Virginia, 1989.
Honors and Awards
- NEH Senior Fellowship for University Teachers
- American Philosophical Society
- Clark Library Postdoctoral Fellowship
- Exxon Education Foundation Fellowship (Newberry Library)
- ACLS Fellowship for Recent Recipients of the Ph.D.
- TuTh 11:00-12:30 and by appointment
- 4611/101 TuTh 9:30-10:45 Marquette Hall 105