2018 Department AwardsMary Gettel Award
Highest GPA in a Languages, Literatures, and Cultures major
Arabic - Mahmoud Darwish Arabic Literature Award
- Brian Coe
- Meredith Gillespie*
- Alyssa Sankey
- Allison Volcheck*
*Meredith Gillespie and Allie Volcheck were also awarded The Center of Peacemaking Fellowship Award for summer 2018. They will be working under Dr. Othman’s supervision on an oral history project that deals with Muslim women strategies to gain independence and agency by nonviolent methods-leading to a more equal, and consequently more peaceful, society.
Chinese - Chinese Language and Culture Award
- Luca Bonvicini
- Lily Cheong
- Raaz Khoshnood
- Sofia Monster
Classics (Greek/Latin) - President’s Latin Contest Advanced
- Pi Delta Phi Award for Excellence in French Studies: Maxwell Maloney
- Excellence in Writing: Alexander Lux
- Excellence in Oral Presentation: Jessi Stellberg
- Excellence in Oral Presentation: Alexander Pena
- Most Promising Performance: Zoe Gunderson
Italian - Excellence in Italian Language
- Creative Work: Margaret Cullinan ("La trenza floral")
- Research Paper: Josh Miler and Jessica Szuminski
- Globetrotter: Zoe Campbell
- People for Others: Esme Nungaray
Spanish awards descriptions and nomination process
Students may self-nominate; faculty may nominate. The works and activities completed at any time over the course of studying Spanish at Marquette are eligible. Awards are open to all students, whether graduating or not. Graduate students’ works are accepted but preference will be given to undergraduates. Deadline to submit nominations and self-nominations: April 1. Results are communicated by April 20. Awards ceremony early May.
- Outstanding Research Paper in Spanish award recognizes outstanding research, argumentation, and style of a student paper in Spanish produced while studying at Marquette.
- Outstanding Creative Work award recognizes thought-inspiring, provocative creative work in any medium or genre produced for any Spanish course at Marquette.
- People for Others Award recognizes outstanding citizenship and care for the success of others and/or exemplary contributions to the Milwaukee community through Service Learning in any Spanish class.
- Globetrotter award recognizes students’ outstanding academic performance and community outreach while studying Spanish abroad.
- Overachiever award will go to the Spanish major with the highest GPA in any of the Spanish majors. Names submitted by Dept. Chair. May remain vacant.