Welcome to your new home!
Congratulations on taking the first step on becoming a Student Coordinator!
Working at the Service Learning Program can be one of the best experiences you’ll have on campus. Here are just a few things Student Coordinators have shared about what they like about the job:
- Flexible Schedule – A student’s day can be filled with numerous meetings, extracurricular activities, and class and can get very busy. At the Service Learning Program, you will be able to build your own schedule and come to office hours that work best for you. Student Coordinators are scheduled to work Monday through Friday – which means free weekends!
- No work over the holidays – Our student staff are not required to work over any university breaks so you will be able to take that well deserved break!
- Grow long lasting friendships and find your people – the people you meet at the Service Learning Program will shape your Marquette experience. You will likely become lifelong friends with your co-workers! Check out our alumni video to see how past Student Coordinators talk about their time in the Program.
- Learn more about social justice – The Service Learning Program strives to educate our staff about social justice issues impacting our Milwaukee community, our nation, and the world. Join a diverse staff committed to growing their own awareness and cultural competency.
- Build professional skills that are transferable to a lot of different careers – Leadership, professional communication, technology, public speaking, time management, organization, case management, curriculum building, public relations, group facilitation are all skills you will develop in this role. We encourage (and pay!) our staff to take part in various professional development opportunities offered by Marquette and our neighboring community.
- Competitive wage with the opportunity for raises and promotions!
In addition to these benefits, Student Coordinators are given many opportunities to grow their professional and leadership skills while connecting with the Milwaukee community and helping other Marquette students have a meaningful service learning experience. By centering social justice in our work, we strive to educate the Marquette community on the important issues our community faces. By working with faculty, community organizations, and students, you are helping to make a difference in your fellow students’ education and for the Marquette community.
What Exactly Would I be Doing?
Student Placement Responsibilities
As a Student Coordinator, you will assist service learning students in identifying and securing a service learning placement that is appropriate for their academic class, guide their experience throughout the semester, lead critical reflection sessions, and support the office staff on other projects.
- Conduct and assist administrative staff with student orientations
- Assist students with selecting community placements for the semester
- Contact students before service begins; provide all information about the placement including the nature of service, calendar of service, application and other orientation procedures
- Maintain communication with service learning students throughout the semester and troubleshoot any issues that might arise
- Manage accurate service records for students through the office database, MU Engage, and Microsoft Excel (you will receive training on how to use both systems during your first days)
- Plan and facilitate service learning reflection sessions to help students make connections between their course learning objectives and their service
Community Partner/Agency Responsibilities
As a representative of Marquette and of the Service Learning Program, the Student Coordinator will assist our community partners in meeting their volunteer needs and facilitate an impactful experience for our service learning students. You will work to provide our partners with a mutually beneficial experience.
- Develop relationships and partnerships with community agencies. Familiarize yourself with the Service Learning Program’s community partner organizations via website, phone calls and one-on-one meetings
- Utilize customer service skills when communicating with site contacts, assist them in handling concerns or questions, making sure they are well supported in hosting our students, and that students fulfill their commitment to the sites
- Manage a caseload of partner agencies and all of the students that sign up to serve at those organizations ensuring that placements are a good fit for the students’ academic classes, and that the students are a good fit for the roles they are serving in
As a Student Coordinator, you will also help us to maintain faculty relationships across campus and work together to offer a meaningful academic experience for service learning students.
- Grow your academic network by acting as a liaison to faculty across various departments at Marquette
- Enhance your public speaking skills by conducting in-class service learning orientation presentations to participating courses
- Work collaboratively to ensure that service learning students receive a meaningful experience throughout their semester
- Assist with various professional development opportunities for faculty and community partners.
Applications will be accepted until April 17, 2023. If you have any questions, please contact Eddie Godina, Assistant Director of the Service Learning Program.