Mission, Goals, and Objectives
Following in the Jesuit tradition of faithful service, the Service Learning Program at Marquette University facilitates student academic learning through meaningful service experiences, which encourage and enable Marquette's faculty and students to positively impact the community. The Service Learning Program seeks to bring campus and community together in partnership to share resources, meet real community needs, and help educate women and men to become the change agents of tomorrow.
Expand all | Collapse all
- To enhance students' learning by enabling them to practice skills and test classroom knowledge through related service experiences in the local community.
- To enable students to provide needed assistance to community agencies and to the people served by the agencies.
- To assist faculty in their role as facilitators of service learning and in their engagement with the community.
- To provide leadership training and development opportunities for the service learning staff.
- To recruit faculty who are willing to include a service option in one or more of their courses.
- To assist faculty in designing the service learning portion of their classes.
- To inform students about service learning as it applies to their specific classes.
- To secure relevant community placement sites for each service learning course.
- To assist students as they enroll in service learning, choose placements and become established in their agencies.
- To prepare students to engage in meaningful service.
- To assist service learners to make connections between their community experiences and the larger world, focusing especially on social justice issues.
- To monitor students' service and report results to faculty.
- To provide student staff with diverse and rich employment and leadership experiences.
- To disseminate information about service learning outside the immediate campus and community.
Undergraduate Co-Curricular Learning Outcomes
After completion of course-based service learning (placement model), the student is able to:
- Appreciate people from diverse backgrounds.
- Exhibit a commitment to social justice.
- Demonstrate a commitment to be an involved citizen in his or her community.
- Demonstrate an increased sense of vocation.
Community Impact Outcomes
As the result of a service learning partnership, Marquette is able to:
- Help the community partner meet the agency's mission.
- Promote the exchange of resources between the university and community agency.
- Effect a positive change on the community members the agency serves.
- Situate the university as a positive and just citizen in the community.