Next Steps for Admitted International Undergraduates

Congratulations on your Admission to Marquette University!

To enroll at Marquette, please review and complete these next steps:

Accept or Decline AdmissionReceive Your I-20Housing and HealthCourse Registration and English Placement TestingCosts and BillingOrientation and Arrival

Step 1: Accept or Decline Admission

Log in to your Application Account. Click on the "Reply to Admission" form and select "Accept Admission" or "Decline Admission."

This is account is where you checked the status of your application and viewed your admission letter. If you forgot your login details, contact us: or call (414) 288-7289.

Back to Top

Step 2: Receive Your I-20

Complete these three steps to receive your I-20 (see details for each step below):       

A. Pay Your Deposit

B. Submit Financial Verification

C. Submit Official Academic Documents 

Upon completion, OIE will Fed Ex you your Certificate of Eligibility (Form I-20) for your F-1 student visa. To ensure delivery, please verify your mailing address in your Application Account.

Students Transferring F-1 Status: If you currently have F-1 status, you must transfer your status to Marquette by completing our F-1 Transfer History Form with help from your current Designated School Official.  Your I-20 will be sent after the History Form is received and your SEVIS record has been released to Marquette.


A. Pay Your Deposit

The priority deadline for tuition and housing deposits for Fall 2021 is May 1. The total deposit is $500:  $200 for tuition and $300 for housing.  Submitting your deposit means you are committing to enroll at Marquette. Deposits are non-refundable.

Payment Methods

  • Credit card: Log in to your Application Account  and click on the Reply to Admission form. After you accept your offer of admission, you will see the payment procedures.
  • Bank check or money order: Make payable to “Marquette University” and send to OIE. Please indicate your Marquette ID number with your payment.
  • Bank wire transfer: Contact OIE for more information.

*If you have trouble making your deposit payment, contact 


B. Submit Financial Verification

I. Signed Financial Sponsorship Form (if not already submitted)

Students fully sponsored by their home government or by other external scholarships should provide an official letter of support from their government or other sponsor instead of the sponsorship form.

II. Bank Evidence (if not already submitted)

Students with private sponsors (parents, family, friends) must also provide a current, official bank statement or letter indicating the financial sponsor has at least $67,830 (the 2021-22 total estimated cost) on deposit. The statement must be dated no more than 12 months before Marquette enrollment.

If you cannot obtain bank evidence, you can submit a verification deposit of $5,000. If you do not become a Marquette F-1 student, $4,500 is refundable. 

Options to Submit Financial Verification Materials:

  • Upload via your Marquette Application account using the "Upload Materials"  link on your Status Page. Label your materials as "Financial Sponsor Information" or "Bank Statement."
  • Send your materials as a scanned email attachment to
  • Send official materials by postal mail to the Office of International Education.

C. Submit Official Academic Records

If you already submitted your official records, you do not need to resend them unless they show new course work since your admission.  (Academic records may include high school transcripts, university transcripts, examination results, and/or graduation certificates if available.)

Options for sending official academic records 

  • Via postal mail in an closed envelope sealed by the verifying institution. These documents must have a fresh ink printing, signature, stamp or raised seal from the verifying institution.  
  • Upload from Docufide, Parchment, Naviance and the Common Application 
  • University transcripts sent directly from the university/college

Back to Top

Step 3: Housing & Health

Submit Your Housing Preferences

Complete the housing application by logging into your CheckMarq student account and clicking on the Next Step link. The housing forms will be unlocked two or three days after you pay your deposit. Your Checkmarq username can be found on your application status page and CheckMarq access was sent by email soon after you submitted your application. If you have trouble logging into CheckMarq or don't remember your password, call the IT Help Desk at (414) 288-7799 or visit the IT website.

Keep the following in mind when completing the housing application:

  • All new students are required to live in a university residence hall during their first two years of study unless they are 21 years or older, more than two years out of high school or living with their parents. If you wish to request a waiver of this policy, please contact OIE.
  • Learn about your housing options, review information on Life at Marquette, and view specialty housing options like the Engineering, Nursing or the DIVE living-learning communities.
  • Students who desire a halal diet can make arrangements with Marquette’s food service to provide basic halal entrée/main course to supplement the standard dining offerings already acceptable for halal.

Submit Required Health Forms

Submit the required immunization and tuberculosis forms online through CheckMarq and the Next Step link or find this information at your MU patient portal: The university will suspend course registration if this information is not submitted.

What you will need for the online immunization form:

  • Date of your tetanus/diphtheria booster dose
  • If you were born after 1957, the dates of your two MMR vaccines; OR your two measles, one mumps, one rubella vaccines; OR lab reports showing positive immunity
  • Month and year you had chicken pox; OR dates of varicella No. 1 or 2; OR a lab report showing positive immunity

For tuberculosis (TB) form:

  • Whether you have had a positive TB skin test; AND been in close contact with anyone with TB; AND a list of the countries you have traveled to or lived in (for more than two weeks); AND, if indicated, results of a TB test

If you are under age 18, print and complete the parental consent form.

Questions? Contact Medical Clinic at or through the Marquette Medical Clinic website.

Health Insurance

All Marquette students with F-1 and J-1 visa status are required to have acceptable year-round health insurance coverage for their entire period of studies.  Learn more about Marquette's health insurance.

Disability Accommodation/Services Request (Optional)

If you have a disability and think you need accommodations, please contact the Office of Disability Services. A request form is available in your Checkmarq account. All information is confidential.

Back to Top

Step 4: Class Registration, English Testing, & Final Transcripts

Class Registration & Selection

For information about course registration and selection, contact the staff member from your College:

Arts & Sciences:                Anne Bartlelt                

Business Administration:   Beth Krey

Engineering:                      Brigid Lagerman

Health Sciences:               Michelle Schuh

Communication:                Laura Schram

Education:                         Tina McNamara


Transfer Credit

Submit official transcripts or certificates for all International Baccalaureate, A-Level, Abitur, Advanced Placement and university courses no later than the first day of classes at Marquette for transfer credit evaluation. In addition, please submit English translations of all related university course descriptions. Any transfer credit will be added to your CheckMarq record for review before registering for classes at Marquette.


English Language Assessment

If English is not your first language, you will likely need to take Marquette's English Language Placement Test.  The test will be offered (online) twice before the start of the Fall semester:

On June 1-2 – results will be available before SPARK to aid in class registration; and

On August 9-10 – results will be available a few days later to assist with final class registration 

The results of this test will be used to determine your enrollment in Marquette’s English as a Second Language Program classes. ESLP classes are taken in conjunction with regular academic courses and are generally taken during the first year. ESLP class grades are calculated in your GPA and, in all colleges except Engineering, the credits count toward your undergraduate requirements. Read more about the English as a Second Language Program.

Students who submit their enrollment deposit by May 24 will be included in the first (June) placement test. Students who deposit after May 24 will be included in the August placement Test. Students who are exempt from the placement test are welcome to take the test if they would like a proficiency assessment to use in planning studies.

Students will receive additional information about the placement exams shortly before each exam. There is no need to prepare anything for the placement exam.


Complete Current Coursework & Submit Final Academic Documents

  • Your offer of admission is contingent upon completion any course work you are currently enrolled in with grades comparable or better than those upon which Marquette offered you admission.
  • Submit an official copy of your final high school transcript, final certificates and/or university transcripts to Marquette no later than the first day of classes at Marquette. Transcripts should be mailed to the Office of International Education. The university will suspend course registration if these official documents are not received.

Back to Top

Step 5: Costs & Billing

University Costs

University costs include tuition, a residence hall room, meal plan charges and student fees. Details are explained at Marquette Central's site. Also see our tuition information for total costs and estimated living expenses for 12 months.

Payment of Tuition & Fees

An electronic billing statement will be generated after you register for classes. This information will be viewable in your CheckMarq student account under the Bursar tab. Click "View e-bill statements." Also see Marquette Central Office of the Bursar information with methods of payment, deadlines and monthly payment plans.

Scholarships & Financial Aid

International students are considered for financial scholarships at the time of admission. If awarded, your scholarship is announced in your admission letter and will be credited to your tuition account each semester. Unfortunately, Marquette does not offer international student loans or need-based financial aid. Scholarships are not awarded to students who have full government funding.

Back to Top

Step 6: Orientation & Arrival

New Student Orientation & Arrival

Details on the orientation for new international students will be available on our new student orientation and arrival page. 

Back to Top