Sensenbrenner Hall, 004
PROBLEM WITH THIS WEBPAGE?
To report another problem, please contact email@example.com.
“The arts and humanities define who we are as a people. That is their power – to remind us of what we each have to offer, and what we all have in common. To help us understand our history and imagine our future. To give us hope in moments of struggle and to bring us together when nothing else will.” – Michelle Obama
“The sciences are the ‘how,’ and the humanities are the ‘why’ – why are we here, why do we believe in the things we believe in. I don’t think you can have the ‘how’ without the ‘why.’ – George Lucas
Sadly, it is possible to successfully obtain a college degree without finding the meaning, inspiration, and sense of community that together comprise the heart of a university education. That’s where we come in. Marquette’s Center for the Advancement of the Humanities provides a space for students to come together and engage the most important questions of life outside of the classroom. Whether you are already a member of several campus clubs and organizations or a first-year student still finding your way, we hope you’ll make the Center a home away from home as you navigate the journey of self-discovery and growth that is college life.
Beginner's guide to the CfAH
Here's a few tips from on how you can join the CfAH team:
- Plan a visit to our office or meet up with other students at a Humanities Pizza Night.
- Think about majoring or minoring in the humanities. At the CfAH, we know that college is about getting a job, being efficient, and that kind of thing. But college is also about building lasting friendships and figuring out who you are and who you want to be.
Join Culture, Conflict & Interfaith (CCI), an informal student-led group devoted to discussing topics of cultures and faiths, and where conflict arises within them. CCI’s goal is to share our thoughts and experiences in a respectful and engaging environment. This group welcomes all cultures, faiths, and backgrounds. In the years to come, we hope to expand our horizons by engaging with individuals and organizations throughout the Greater Milwaukee area. Follow CCI @ccimke_
- Pursue a distinctive summer opportunity as a graduate student. Apply for a student fellowship to spend your summer working on a humanities project or internship.
- Learn from prestigious humanities scholars. Attend events through the Humanities Research Colloquium
- Looking for work? Join our team. Apply to work a few hours a week in our office or on one of our projects. We'll have a variety of student employment opportunities and a community research fellowship for graduate students.
- Educate yourself on the important role of the humanities in confronting contemporary challenges. Explore the resources available in the center's Humanities Library.
- Make our space your own. Use the center's student room to take a break during the day or reserve our conference room if you need a space to study or host a meeting.
Think beyond graduation. Explore our resources on humanities jobs and careers.