- Apply Today
- Master's and Doctoral Programs
- Distance Education (Online Graduate Programs)
- Accelerated Degree Programs
- Application Instructions
- Graduate Forms
- Graduate Program Bulletin
- Request Program Information
- Contact the Graduate School
- Schedule a Campus Visit
- Graduate School Staff
- Contributing to the Graduate School
Graduate Student Fellowship Listing
The listing below is provided only to give an illustration of the wide variety of fellowship programs that are available to graduate students and is by no means an exhaustive list.
Fellowships for any field of study
- Chevening Scholarship Program
Three scholarship programs for postgraduate study in the United Kingdom for students in any field of study.
- Ford Foundation Fellowship
Predoctoral, dissertation, and postdoctoral fellowships to increase and support diversity in the faculties of American universities.
The flagship international exchange program operated by the U.S. government. The program awards approximately 1560 grants each year to U.S. citizens to study abroad for up to one year in all disciplines. Also awards grants to foreign students to study in the U.S. Over 150 countries participate in the program.
- Gates Cambridge Scholarships
One to three years of study in any discipline at Cambridge University in England.
- German Chancellor Fellowship
One year of study in any discipline at a university in Germany.
- Josephine de Karman Scholarships
Fellowships to support PhD candidates with ABD status.
- Organization of American States (OAS) Fellowships
For graduate study or research in any field except medical sciences or introductory language study.
- Rhodes Scholarship
Two or three years of support for study at Oxford University in any field. 32 scholars chosen from the U.S. per year.
- Swiss Benevolent Society of New York Scholarships
For students of Swiss parentage. Merit based awards for study at the undergraduate, graduate, and professional levels both in the U.S. and abroad.
Fellowships for particular fields of study
- Amelia Earhart Fellowships (Zonta International Foundation)
For women pursuing aerospace careers in science or engineering. 35 – 40 fellowships of $10,000 are awarded annually.
- BMI Student Awards
Scholarships for various music and art related fellowships and awards.
- Davis-Putter Scholarships
Need-based grants (up to $6,000) to students actively working for peace and justice on campus and/or in the community.
- Humane Studies Fellowships
For undergraduate and graduate students with “liberty-advancing research interests” in fields such as economics, philosophy, law, political science, anthropology, and literature. In 2010, the program awarded more than 180 fellowships for $2,000 to $15,000.
- Jacob K. Javits Fellowship
Up to four years of support for doctoral study in the arts, humanities, or social sciences.
- NIH Loan Repayment Programs
Up to $35,000 annually to approximately 1600 research scientists who work in universities, nonprofit, or governmental agencies following graduation. Open to applicants from a variety of clinical research fields.
- NIH National Research Service Award
A variety of fellowship and training grant programs for both research doctoral students and health service doctoral students.
- Peace Scholar Dissertation Fellowship
Supports doctoral dissertations that explore the sources and nature of international conflict, and strategies to prevent or end conflict and to sustain peace.
- Phi Kappa Phi Fellowships
Fifty-seven fellowships of $5,000 and three fellowships of $15,000 to Phi Kappa Phi members entering the first year of graduate or professional study.
- Pickering Graduate Foreign Affairs Fellowships
Two years of support for those entering careers in the U.S. Department of State Foreign Service.
- Society of Women Engineers
Various awards for women pursuing baccalaureate or graduate degrees in engineering or computer science, as well as engineering and computer science students enrolled in ABET-accredited engineering programs.
- Smithsonian Fellowships
Support for undergraduate senior or graduate students and postdoctoral fellows in any field of study appropriate to the Smithsonian and its collections.
- Wellstone Fellowship for Social Justice
The Wellstone Fellowship for Social Justice is designed to foster the advancement of social justice through participation in health care advocacy work that focuses on the unique challenges facing many communities of color.
- Winston Churchill Foundation Scholarship
Supports graduate study in the sciences, math, and engineering at Cambridge University in England.
Dissertation grant opportunities
- AAUW Dissertation Fellowships
Supports women scholars completing dissertations and postdoctoral research in a wide variety of fields.
- Charlotte Newcombe Dissertation Fellowship
Provides one year support for conducting dissertation research on ethical and religious values. Open to applicants from a variety of fields in the humanities and social sciences.
- DeKarmen Dissertation Fellowship
One-year fellowships to support dissertation research in any field of study.
- International Dissertation Field Research Fellowships
Up to 50 fellowships to support social scientists and humanists conducting dissertation field research in all areas and regions of the world.
- Ford Foundation Dissertation Program
Fellowships to support dissertation research for students from a wide variety of fields. Program aims to increase diversity in the faculties of American universities.
- Louisville Institute Dissertation Fellowship
Provides one year support for conducting dissertation research on Christianity in North America.
- Mellon Foundation Fellowship
Supports a variety of programs supporting dissertation research in the humanities and social sciences.
- Spencer Foundation Dissertation Fellowship
Fellowships of $25,000 to support dissertation research in any field that addresses the improvement of education.