Jacklynn Fitzgerald, Ph.D.
Dr. Fitzgerald will be interviewing applicants applying to the clinical psychology graduate program (to start the program in Fall 2020).
Born and raised in Wisconsin, Dr. Fitzgerald completed her undergraduate education at the University of Wisconsin – Madison. Prior to going back to school she worked as a non-academic researcher in the social sciences in Washington, DC and pharmaceuticals in Chicago, IL. She earned her doctorate in Psychology with a focus on Behavioral Neuroscience from the University of Illinois at Chicago in 2017. Currently she lives in Bay View with her husband, Nathan, and daughter, Monroe.
Research Lab: Translational Affective Neuroscience Lab
Ph.D., University of Illinois at Chicago, 2017
M.A., University of Illinois at Chicago, 2014
B.A., University of Wisconsin – Madison, 2006
PSYC 3601 – Biopsychology
Trained as a behavioral neuroscientist, Dr. Fitzgerald’s research translates what we know about how the brain generates and regulates emotions to better understand the emergence of emotion dysregulation in clinical populations, notably anxiety, depression, and posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Using functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) and electroencephalogram (EEG) recording, Dr. Fitzgerald’s research uncovers variations in the neurobiology as well as time course of emotion dysregulation in these disorders. Using mixed methods, her work integrates what is known about aberrant neurobiological functioning with peripheral markers of emotional responding.
- Fitzgerald, J.M., Klumpp, H., Langenecker, S., Phan, K.L. (2019). Transdiagnostic neural correlates of volitional emotion regulation in anxiety and depression. Depression and Anxiety, 36(5), 453-464.
- Klumpp, H., Kinney, K.L., Bhaumik, R., Fitzgerald, J.M. (2018). Principal component analysis and brain-based predictors of emotion regulation in anxiety and depression. Psychological Medicine, 25, 1-10.
- Fitzgerald, J.M., Kinney, K., Phan, K.L., Klumpp, H. (2018). Distinct neural engagement during implicit and explicit regulation of negative stimuli. Neuropsychologia, Epub ahead of print.
- Fitzgerald, J.M., DiGangi, J., Phan, K.L. (2018). Functional neuroanatomy of emotion and its regulation in PTSD. Harvard Review of Psychiatry, 26(3), 116-128.
- Fitzgerald, J.M., Gorka, S.M., Kujawa, A., DiGangi, J., Proescher, E., Greenstein, J.E., Aase, D., Schroth, C., Afshar, K., Kennedy, A., Hajcak, G., Phan, K.L. (2018). Neural indices of emotional reactivity and regulation predict course of PTSD symptoms in combat-exposed veterans. Progress in Neuro-Psychopharmacology & Biological Psychiatry, 2(82), 255-262.
- Klumpp, H. Bhaumik, R., Kinney, K.L., Fitzgerald, J.M. (2018). Principle component analysis and neural predictors of emotion regulation. Behavioural Brain Research, 338, 128-133.
- Fitzgerald, J.M., Kennedy, A.E., Shankman, S.A., Langenecker, S.A., Phan, K.L., Klumpp, H. (2017). Prefrontal and amygdala engagement during emotion regulation in generalized anxiety disorder. Journal of Affective Disorders, 218, 398-406.
- Fitzgerald, J.M., MacNamara, A., Kennedy, A.E., Rabinak, C., Rauch, S.A.M., Liberzon, I., Phan, K.L. (2017). Individual differences in cognitive reappraisal and emotion regulatory brain function in combat-exposed veterans with and without PTSD. Depression and Anxiety, 34(1), 79-88.
- Fitzgerald, J.M., MacNamara, A., DiGangi, J.A., Kennedy, A.E., Rabinak, C.A., Patwell, R.S., Greenstein, J.E., Proescher, E., Rauch, S.A.M., Hajcak, G., Phan, K.L. (2016). A psychophysiological investigation of directed emotion regulation in combat-associated posttraumatic stress disorder. Psychiatry Research: Neuroimaging, 249, 113-121.