Marquette Advantage FAQs

What is the Marquette Advantage?

The Marquette Advantage is an exciting transfer pathway exclusively for CMHS graduates. It allows a student to earn a Marquette University degree after first completing transferrable coursework at Waukesha County Technical College (WCTC) or University of Wisconsin Milwaukee at Waukesha (UWM-W).

Who participates in the Marquette Advantage?

There are all sorts of reasons a student may not be able to join the MU community straight from high school. For some students it is a financial decision. Four years of Marquette tuition is simply not an option. For other students, academic college readiness may be a factor. Regardless, any CMHS graduate that would like to earn a MU bachelor’s degree but won’t be joining MU as a new freshman is invited to participate.

How does it work?

You must complete the participation form before May 1 of your senior year at CMHS. Then, CMHS graduates enroll at WCTC or UWM-W to complete transferrable Marquette coursework and then transfer to Marquette University to complete their bachelor’s degree. In most cases, students will follow a 2 + 2 format (2 years at WCTC/UWM-W followed by 2 years at MU), though it is not required that a student spend two years at the community college.

How is Marquette involved while I am a student at WCTC or UWM-W?

While at WCTC or UWM-W, Marquette Advantage participants will also be part of the MU community. In addition to all the services that the community college offers, Marquette Advantage participants will also receive a Marquette ID, access to the MU libraries, opportunities to participate in clubs and sports, exclusive invitations to Marquette events like basketball games and on-campus speakers, and more. A one-time activities fee of $50 is required of participants.

How will I be supported when I am at WCTC or UWM-W?

To ensure your success at WCTC or UWM-W and a seamless transfer to Marquette University, you will be assigned a peer mentor and have two academic advisors, one at the community college and one at Marquette. Your peer mentor can assist you as you transition to the college environment, navigate course registration, and learn the tips and tricks of being a college student. Your academic advisors will assist you as explore your academic and career goals, keeping you on track to graduate from MU in an efficient manner. As a Marquette Advantage participant, academic advising will be required once per semester at both schools.

How do I apply?

If you are considering participating, there are some important steps along the way to keep in mind:

Then what?

Once all forms have been submitted, CELEBRATE! You are on the path towards earning a Marquette degree and joining the ranks of thousands of Marquette alumni across the globe.

Once your forms are processed, a member of the Admissions staff will reach out to you for additional steps.

When do I have to decide to join the Marquette Advantage pathway?

CMHS students have until May 1 of the senior year to make a final decision to participate. We understand that you may have many options on where to attend college. We want you to make an informed decision, free from any pressure, which fits with your end goals. We hope it is Marquette University via the Marquette Advantage.

Are there scholarships other than the Pere Marquette Scholarship?

Yes. Transfer students joining us from a community college may be eligible for our additional transfer scholarships. All students are encouraged to apply for private outside scholarships to help off-set the cost of attendance.

How many total transfer students enroll at Marquette?

Approximately 55 transfer students join us for the spring semester. About 170 new students join us for the fall semester. Comprehensive enrollment data about year over year transfer student enrollment can be found online.

Can I finish a Marquette degree in two years if I transfer after completing my Associate of Arts or Associate of Science or Associate of Applied Science?

In most cases, yes! The majority of Marquette's degrees can be completed in two years for students transferring from UWM-W. Some degrees from WCTC which are A.A.S. degrees, transfer in a 2+2 format. We offer credit pathways for the WCTC degrees in Graphic Design, Web and Digital Media Design, Electrical Engineering Technology, and Mechanical Engineering Technology.

All students are encouraged to work with a member of our transfer team so that a degree plan can be charted out to ensure a seamless transition.

Can I transfer into Nursing?

Potentially. Applications will be reviewed on a pooled basis. It is important you utilize advising resources regularly to ensure you are meeting deadlines and understand the admission process to Nursing at Marquette.

I'm interesting in transferring to MU to apply to the Doctorate of Physical Therapy program. What are the steps?

Students must first enroll at Marquette as an undergraduate student and complete at least one year of studies at MU. The first opportunity to apply for DPT admission is in the junior year. Transfer students must have completed at least one year of studies at MU and be on-track to complete the MU degree on time. In most cases, transfer students will not be eligible for the accelerated 6-yr program. However, students will be considered an internal applicant for the DPT program, which carries preferential consideration for admission, if a Marquette bachelor's degree is earned with at least half of the pre-requisites earned at MU and all the pre-requisites earned at a 4-year regionally accredited college/university and through in-class instruction (not via online courses). Pre-requisite credits earned at a community, technical or extension institution are not acceptable.

I'm interested in transferring to MU to apply to the Physician Assistant's program. What are the steps?

Students must first enroll at Marquette as an undergraduate student in the Biomedical Sciences major. Candidates must be on track for a Biomedical Sciences degree following the published pre-PA curriculum. Undergraduate applicants who transfer from another institution must have a minimum of 30 total credit hours (2 semesters), including at least 12 credits of science pre-requisites for the PA program completed at MU and applied toward the undergraduate Biomedical Sciences major prior to submission of the PA application.

How do I arrange a visit to campus?

We'd love to meet you and show you around campus. We offer transfer specific group information sessions or we can sit down with you individually to discuss the Marquette Advantage.