Disciplinary Honors in Nursing
Director: Dr. Sandi Van Den Heuvel
Disciplinary Honors in Nursing in the MU Undergraduate Bulletin
7 credit hours are required to complete Disciplinary Honors in Nursing and/or the Comprehensive Honors degree. The following courses are required:
One of the following courses:
- PSYC 2001 - Psychological Measurements and Statistics (4 credits)
- PSYC 2001H - Honors Psychological Measurements and Statistics (4 credits)
- SOCI 2060 - Social Statistics (4 credits)
- SOCI 2060H - Honors Social Statistics (4 credits)
NURS 3956H - Honors Nursing Pracitcum 1 (1 credit)
NURS 4965H - Honors Nursing Practicum 2 (1 credit)
NURS 4997H - Honors Senior Capstone (1 credit)
Students must achieve a 3.200 cumulative GPA and a 3.500 cumulative Nursing GPA in order to complete Nursing Disciplinary Honors and the Comprehensive Honors degree. Students must earn a grade of C or better in a course for it to count toward the Comprehensive Honors degree.
Honors students are expected to actively engage in all activities of the program, including:
- Participate in ongoing research activities with faculty mentor throughout the duration of the honors program.
- Actively disseminate scholarly work through publication, publication, presentations and participation in local research conferences such as Building Bridges (Nursing research conference in Southeastern WI).
- Attend all honors programs meetings.
- Maintain honors designation, including minimum GPA requirements and adherence to the MUCN academic and professional code of conduct.
Eligibility and Application
Sophomores with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.200 are eligible to apply to the program; the Disciplinary Honors Program in Nursing Committee selects a limited number of applicants. The program is structured to be completed over the last four semesters of a student's academic career. Students must maintain a 3.200 cumulative GPA in order to complete Nursing Disciplinary Honors.
The application requires each applicant to submit a 300-500 word personal statement addressing why they would like to participate in Disciplinary Honors and what type of research they are interested in.