Julia Azari, Ph.D.Marquette University
Wehr Physics Hall, 458MilwaukeeWI53201United States of America(414) email@example.com
Prof. Julia Azari is Professor in the Department of Political Science at Marquette University. She holds Ph.D., M.A. and M.Phil. degrees in political science from Yale University, and a B.A. in political science from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Her research and teaching interests include the American presidency, American political parties, the politics of the American state, and qualitative research methods. Her research has been supported by the Marquette University Regular Research Grant, the Harry Middleton Fellowship in Presidential Studies, the Gerald Ford Presidential Library Foundation Travel Grant, and the Harry Truman Library Institute Scholars Award.
Prof. Azari is a regular contributor at the political science blog The Mischiefs of Faction. Her work has also appeared in the Washington Post’s Monkey Cage blog and in Politico.
Ph.D., Yale University, 2007
- POSC 2201 American Politics | Syllabus
- POSC 4201 The American Congress | Syllabus
- POSC 4211 The American Presidency | Syllabus
- POSC 6211 Congress and the Presidency
Prof. Azari's research interests include the American presidency, American political development, and political parties. Her research looks at the relationship between presidents and parties, how formal and informal rules matter, and how change occurs across different institutions.
- Julia R. Azari, Delivering the People’s Message: The Changing Politics of the Presidential Mandate. Ithaca: Cornell University Press, 2014.
- Julia R. Azari, "Institutional Change and the Presidential Mandate," Social Science History 37, no. 4, 483-514, 2013.
- Julia R. Azari and Justin S. Vaughn, "Barack Obama and the Rhetoric of Electoral Logic," Social Science Quarterly.
- Julia R. Azari and Jennifer K. Smith, "Informal Institutions in Advanced Industrial Democracies," Perspectives on Politics 10, no. 1 (March 2012): 37-55.
- Jose D. Villalobos, Justin S. Vaughn, and Julia R. Azari, "Politics or Policy? How Rhetoric Matters to Presidential Leadership of Congress," Presidential Studies Quarterly 42, no. 3 (September 2012): 549-576.
- Julia R. Azari, "Presidential Mandates and the Leadership Dilemma: William J. Clinton, George W. Bush and Barack H. Obama," in Julia R. Azari, Lara M. Brown and Zim Nwokora, eds. The Presidential Leadership Dilemma. Albany: SUNY Press, 2013.