Virtual Summer Leadership Institute
The Virtual Summer Leadership Institute is a free opportunity for rising high school seniors who wish to gain a better understanding of leadership within the various contexts of the college experience. Students will have the opportunity to reflect on their own leadership abilities and the role leaders play in groups. Students will also learn about what it means to act as a leader in service to others in the community. Finally, we will discuss how to convey leadership experiences in college applications.
This program is designed for students who are the first in their family to go to college or who come from a multicultural background. International students are welcome to apply, but please note that all sessions and presentations will be conducted in English.
Applications for the program will be reviewed on a competitive basis. Completion of this application does not guarantee that you will be selected to participate in the institute.
The program will occur during the week of July 19, 2021. Precise program dates will be determined shortly; please check back for exact dates.
- Complete the application information form.
- Submit an activities list. Highlight no more than 5 activities that best represent you.
The application deadline is June 28, 2021.
Virtual SLI E-Learning Best Practices
- Create or find a quiet space. This will allow you to focus during the presentations and engage fully with your group during discussions. Make sure your household knows your schedule so you will not be disrupted during your sessions.
- Be conscious of your technology. Keep your camera and microphone muted during presentations. This will help reduce distractions and echoes or mic feedback. During discussions you may use your video and microphone but remember to respect your fellow participants.
- Think before you speak. Although you may not see everyone’s face the entire time, keep in mind that you should show the same respect and attention.
- Don’t be shy. You get out what you put in! Your voice and thoughts are important so make sure you use them during the discussions.