Participate in a domestic or international immersion trip to develop an understanding of how to act with subsidiarity and in solidarity. Through immersion with communities engaged in grassroots struggles for the promotion of peace and justice, you will learn how identity and lived experience shapes your own and others' positionality.
Domestic immersion experiences
- SOA-Watch Vigil (Columbus, GA) - Attend workshops and a vigil about the human dimensions of immigration policy and U.S. policy in Latin America.
- Engaging Muslims, Countering Islamophobia (Detroit, MI) - Participate in an interfaith immersion to learn about Islam and about Muslim American life.
- CAMPus Impact (Milwaukee's Near West Side) - Participate in a fall break service and immersion experience in Milwaukee's Near West Side to learn about social issues in Milwaukee and how Marquette students are uniquely situated to learn about and respond to these challenges. The trip will consist of volunteering at a variety of non-profits, as well as nightly reflections and discussions about service and justice in Milwaukee.
International immersion experiences
- Faith and Non-violence; Religious Peacebuilding in India (Guwahati and Delhi, India) - This two-week study abroad program includes meetings with individuals and organizations working to build sustainable peace at the grassroots level, as well as visits to significant religious, cultural, and historical sites to learn about India's rich history of nonviolent social movements and religious diversity.
Semester-long study abroad programs
Marquette offers numerous opportunities to study peacemaking abroad as part of a semester-long, academic and service immersion.
- South Africa Service Learning Program (Capetown, South Africa) - The program offers an understanding of the people, history, culture and traditions of South Africa through integrated academic course work at the University of the Western Cape and direct immersion into the culture through community-based service. Service learning sites provide opportunities to engage in community education, empowerment, mediation, training, research and more.
Other Marquette immersion programs and service resources