Faculty Development Awards
Requests for FY21 will be considered on an ongoing basis. Travel requests are currently on hold until it becomes clear that safe travel is possible. We are making available smaller amounts, up to $300, for virtual conferences. Please make sure to use your departmental funding first.
It is the university’s belief that tenured and tenure-track faculty be provided an opportunity for funding support to assist with their publications and provide conference support for the purpose of presenting their research, performance, exhibition or creative activity.
In order to provide assistance to faculty, the Vice President of the Office of Research and Innovation has established the Faculty Development Award. This internal funding award is designed to assist tenured and tenure-track faculty in the promoting their research and professional development in a quick turnaround time period. This funding is intended to supplement and not supplant funding available from other sources such as department allotments, start-up packages and deans awards.
Since the number of worthy requests exceeds the available budget, funding is necessarily limited to those situations where it can be shown that modest support will make a crucial difference in one’s career. Preference will be given to requests that have supplemental funding from the individual’s department, college or other source. No more than one award per faculty member will be made in each category.
What is Supported – Tenured and Tenure-Track Faculty Conference and Publication Costs
1. Virtual Conference Support to Present Research
a. Awards up to $300 for virtual conferencesnce fees.
2. Publication Costs
a. Awards up to $300;
b. Awards are primarily intended to cover “page charges” for peer-reviewed professional publications;
c. Requests for indexing and other costs associated with scholarly publications will be considered;
d. Costs for multiple-author publications must be equitably distributed among co- authors and their respective institutions;
e. Normally, funds cannot be used for overcharges such as pages exceeding the publisher’s set limit or for rapid publication.
How Awards are Issued
- Awardees, their department chairs, and their deans are notified electronically by the Vice President for Research and Innovation usually within five working days.
- Awards are cost-reimbursable. The notification email will include instructions on how to access the funds via iExpense. It is the awardee’s responsibility to submit their receipts in iExpense for reimbursement. The awardee is reimbursed only for eligible project costs during the same fiscal year. The awardee is responsible for disallowed costs.
- The department must adhere to the university’s purchasing and other policies in administering these awards.
- Funding must be spent in the semester or session for which it is allocated.
- A specific amount of funding for requests is segmented for Fall, Spring, Summer I and Summer II semester/sessions.
- Since funding runs out each semester, it is important to transmit requests as soon plans are known for a particular semester.
- Only one conference request can be considered each fiscal year.
HOW TO APPLY
Complete the online submission form: Faculty Development Awards Form.