Social and Cultural Sciences
Ph.D., 2000, University of Chicago
Sexuality, Gender, Religion, Culture & Power, Emotions, Reconciliation, Qualitative Methods
Sociological theory, sociology senior capstone, and principles of sociology
- 2014. “Beyond the Dichotomy: Six Religious Views of Homosexuality.” Journal of Homosexuality 61 (9): 1215-1241.
- 2013. “Powerful Emotions: Social Power and the (Productive and Punitive) Force of Collective Feeling.” Theory & Society, 42 (3): 261-294.
- 2012. “Who Am I and Who Are We? Conflicting Narratives of Collective Selfhood in Stigmatized Groups.” American Journal of Sociology 117 (5): 1336-1379.
- 2012. “Difficult Dialogues: The Technologies and Limits of Reconciliation.” Pp. 179-199 in Religion on the Edge: De-Centering and Re-Centering the Sociology of Religion, ed. by Courtney Bender, et al. (New York, NY: Oxford University Press).
- 2008. “It’s Only Natural? Culture in the Sociology of Sexuality.” Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science, 183-205.
- 2005. “Discourse, Interaction, and the Making of Selves in the US Protestant Dispute over Homosexuality.” Theory & Society 551-577.2005. “Emotion Language and Social Power: Homosexuality and Narratives of Pain in Church.” Qualitative Sociology 28 (4): 327-349.