- Apply Today
- Master's and Doctoral Programs
- Distance Education (Online Graduate Programs)
- Accelerated Degree Programs
- Application Instructions
- Request Information
- Contact the Graduate School
- Schedule a Campus Visit
- Graduate Bulletin
- Graduate School Staff
- Contributing to the Graduate School
Proof of English Proficiency
English as Official Language of Instruction
International students whose official language of instruction for their bachelor's degree (or master's, if applicable) was not English must submit proof of English proficiency, which is generally evidenced with an official Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or IELTS exam score. If English was the official language of instruction, applicants must notify the Graduate School via email at email@example.com after they have completed the submission of the online application form.
- International students should have an adequate command of both written and spoken English, usually evidenced by a TOEFL score of at least 213 on the computer-based version or 80 on the internet-based version (a minimum of 20 on each section).
- Applicants for some programs must test with higher minimums and should consult application requirements for their individual program. If a higher minimum is required, it will be stated in the application requirements.
- Test scores may not be more than two years old.
- You can designate Marquette to receive your official score reports when you register for the TOEFL internet-based test (iBT), or on the day of the test for the computer-based test (CBT). Marquette University Graduate School's DI Code (Designated Institution) is 1448.
- More TOEFL examination information
IELTS (International English Language Testing System) Information
- International students whose language of instruction for a prior degree was not English may take the IELTS in place of the TOEFL.
- Test scores should be no more than two years old.
- An IELTS total score of 6.5 or higher for each section will be required for admission.
- More information can be found on the IELTS website.
- ELS is an organization that provides English as a Second Language training for non-native English speakers. A minimum GPA of 3.0 on Level 112 is required. Marquette University has an ELS chapter on our campus.
- More ELS program information