Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Graduate School FAQs

Not seeing your question answered here? Contact the Graduate School at (414) 288-7137 or send us an email and we will get back to you shortly.

Before you apply

Expand all   |   Collapse all  

What are the requirements to apply?

Application requirements vary by program. To see what is required for your particular program of interest, visit our Graduate Programs page.

How do I obtain information about a program?

An overview of each of our programs can be found on our Programs page. If you wish to receive more detailed information from the Graduate School via email, please fill out a program information request form.

What Grade Point Average (GPA) is needed to be admitted?

Applicants must submit official transcripts that provide a cumulative grade point average (GPA) for all undergraduate and graduate work that is completed and/or in progress. Institutions that do not use a 4.0 scale should provide an average overall letter grade or percentage marks.

The minimum acceptable undergraduate (or graduate, where applicable) GPA is 3.0 on a 4.0 scale. Exceptions may be made in some programs if other application credentials are very strong.

What are the minimum test scores required for the GRE?

There are no minimum score requirements for programs that require the GRE. The application is considered in its entirety. Consult the application requirements for your program of interest to verify if the GRE is required.

Where can I take the GRE?

The Graduate Record Examination (GRE) is administered by the Educational Testing Service (ETS). For additional information about the GRE, including testing center locations, visit

Marquette University Graduate School's institution code is 1448.

Can my credits from another college or university be transferred?

It may be possible to transfer credits from another institution, however limits are placed on the number of credit hours that may be transferred in order to protect the integrity of the Marquette degree programs. Only credits directly applicable to a student's Marquette degree program will be considered for transfer. Courses for which transfer credit is requested must have been taken at the Graduate level and a grade of "B" or above must have been earned in each course.

What financial aid is available?

Financial aid offered through Marquette,, such as assistantships, fellowships, and scholarships, is available for many of Marquette's graduate programs. Private scholarships may also be available. U.S. citizens and permanent residents may be eligible to apply for need-based federal aid (loans) to help fund their educational expenses as well. View your specific program of interest for additional information regarding what aid is available.

How do I review courses and course descriptions for my program?

Required courses and course descriptions can be found in the Graduate Bulletin, your most complete resource for Marquette University Graduate School information. You can view the complete Graduate Bulletin online.

How do I apply to multiple or dual degree programs?

Applicants who wish to apply to more than one program or department, including applicants to joint degree programs, must submit an application and $50 application fee for each program to which they are applying. In most cases, we can accept one set of official transcripts, test scores, and letters of recommendation. Contact the Graduate School at or 414-288-7137 to verify if multiple sets of application materials are necessary.

How can I get more information about the inter-university exchange programs?

Marquette University Graduate School participates in an inter-university exchange program with the University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee and the Medical College of Wisconsin. Marquette is also part of the Midwest Catholic Schools Consortium, which also includes Saint Louis University, Loyola University of Chicago, and the University of Notre Dame. Marquette students and students currently enrolled at these partner institutions should visit the Inter-university exchange program page for more details and application information.

Applying to The Graduate School

Expand all   |   Collapse all  

Is there an application fee?

Yes, the application fee is $50*. There are only a few circumstances in which the application fee may be waived:

  • Applicants who have previously attended Marquette University as a graduate student
  • Applicants who are currently undergraduate students at Marquette or have received a bachelor's degree from Marquette
  • McNair Scholars
  • Applicants who have attended a Marquette University Open House or other Campus Visit event

*Speech-Language Pathology applicants applying via CSDCAS may pay a higher application fee.

Is there an application deadline?

Some, but not all, of our graduate programs have specific application deadlines. Other programs use rolling admissions. For these programs, it is important to note financial aid consideration deadlines. Admission and financial aid deadlines for all of our graduate programs are listed on our Application Deadlines page.

How do I apply for financial aid?

To apply for merit-based financial aid (assistantships, scholarships), simply check the box on the application that asks if you would like to be considered for this type of aid. Your application will then be considered for both admission and merit-based aid. Some fellowships and private scholarships have additional applications. To apply for need-based aid, you will need to complete the FAFSA.

What are the requirements for letters of recommendation?

Most programs require three letters of recommendation. Letters should be submitted by those who can best speak to the applicant's past academic record and potential for future success as a graduate student. Ideally, at least some of these letters will be written by professors. Letters from employers and other relevant references are also acceptable.

We strongly encourage you to use the online system available as part of the online application to request letters of recommendation. Invitations are then sent to the recommenders, who can upload and submit their letters electronically.

What is a statement of purpose?

A statement of purpose is a written essay that usually begins by indicating the applicant's reasons for undertaking graduate study at Marquette. The statement may include academic objectives; research interests and career plans; related qualifications; collegial, professional, and community activities; and any other substantial accomplishments or relevant information not already mentioned on the application form.

Some programs may have a specific prompt or topic for the statement of purpose. Refer to your program of interest's application requirements for this information.

What should I include on an academic resume?

An academic resume is a short summary of the applicant's personal, professional, and academic experiences and accomplishments and should be written with the specific academic program in mind. The resume should clearly and concisely define an applicant's skills and interests. A few points that might be highlighted include, but are not limited to:

  • Contact information (name, address, email, phone)
  • Academic objective and/or professional career objective
  • Educational background and degrees conferred
  • Relevant internships and employment history
  • Honors and achievements
  • Published articles
  • Research experience

What transcripts are required for domestic students, and how should they be sent?

You must list in the application and submit copies of transcripts for all colleges or universities that you have attended, whether or not you received a degree or transferred the credits from the school.

If admitted:

  • Final official transcripts should be sent to the Marquette University Graduate School directly from your previous institution. Transcripts that pass through the applicant's hands will not be considered official, and neither will transcripts stamped "Issued to Student." If an institution distributes transcripts electronically, please have them send the transcript to

USPS Mailing Address:
Marquette University Graduate School
Zilber Hall, Room 205
P.O. Box 1881
Milwaukee, WI 53201-1881

Courier/Street Address:
Marquette University Graduate School 
1250 W. Wisconsin Ave., Room 205
Milwaukee, WI 53233

*Prospective Speech-Language Pathology students must submit all application requirements, including Marquette transcripts, via CSDCAS.

What transcripts are required for international students, and how should they be sent?

Marquette University Graduate School requires all international (non-U.S.) applicants to submit a course-by-course transcript evaluation. You must list in the application all colleges or universities that you have attended, whether you received a degree or transferred the credits from the school. If admitted, a final official transcript evaluation must be sent to the Marquette University Graduate School directly from the transcript evaluation service used for your course-by-course evaluation.

We accept evaluations from the following services:

*Prospective Speech-Language Pathology students must submit all application requirements, including Marquette transcripts, via CSDCAS.

Where should I send my supporting documents?

  • Email:
  • USPS Mailing address:

    Marquette University Graduate School

    Zilber Hall, Room 205

    PO Box 1881

    Milwaukee, WI 53201

  • Courier/Street address:

    Marquette University Graduate School

    1250 W. Wisconsin Ave, 205

    Milwaukee, WI 53233​

How do I give permission to a third party to discuss my application?

Marquette University Graduate School staff are unable to discuss an application with anyone but the applicant, unless specific permission is given by the applicant. Marquette University requires that this request be made in writing, include the applicant's full name and date of birth, be signed by the applicant, and specify the name(s) of the third party. Requests may be emailed to or sent via posted mail to our office.

How can I find out the status of my application materials?

  • Log in to your online application status page to see what items were received and what still needs to be submitted.
  • Expect to receive a weekly reminder email about the materials that you still need to submit before the application deadline.

I have completed my application. When will I hear a decision?

Expect to receive a decision approximately six to eight weeks after the application deadline. Each program has its own review committee, and therefore the time frames for application reviews and decisions vary.

As soon as an admissions decision is made, the Graduate School will send you official notification.


Accepted Students

Expand all   |   Collapse all  

I have been offered admission. What are the next steps?

Congratulations! The first thing to do is to notify us of your decision to accept or decline your offer of admission by clicking here. Instructions can also be found in your official offer letter from the Graduate School. Next, consult the Information for Admitted Students page for additional information.

Will there be an orientation held for new students?

Yes, and we would love for you to participate! The Graduate School provides an asynchronous online orientation for all new students. Your program may also host a program-specific orientation in addition to the Graduate School's general orientation.

A mandatory orientation for international students is held each fall and spring term through the Office of International Education.

How do I find out who my adviser is?

Your department will assign you an adviser. If you have not been assigned an adviser, you should contact your department directly.

Students are required to meet or talk with their adviser before registering for classes. the Graduate School strongly recommends that students meet regularly with their adviser as they play an important role in a graduate student's course of study. Their signature is required on most forms submitted to the Graduate School and a student's program of study is not valid until it has been approved by both the adviser and the Graduate School. Students who wish to change advisers should check with their department for additional information and instructions.

How do I register for classes?

Registration is completed via CheckMarq. A complete tutorial on registering is available online

Now that I am registered for classes, how will I be billed?

Tuition bills are typically due one week prior to the start of a new term. Billing is the responsibility of the Office of the Bursar. Their policies and procedures can be found online and all questions or concerns regarding billing should be directed to that office.

How do I obtain my textbooks?

The Book Marq is Marquette University's official textbook retailer. You can order books online. Many textbooks are available to purchase or rent in either new or used versions.

How do I apply for independent study?

Independent Study (6995) courses provide students the opportunity to study and investigate areas of interest not available through normal course offerings.

A 6995 course is taken on the recommendation of the student's adviser and with the approval of the department chairperson. An approval form, which must be completed for each 6995 course, is available online.

Normally, no more than 6 credits of 6995 course work can be included in a master's degree program; no more than 9 credits in a doctoral program.

Can undergraduate classes count for graduate credit?

 A student can earn graduate credit for a course if the course is a graduate-level (6000 or above) course, or if it is an upper-division undergraduate course that has been approved for graduate credit (5000-level).  Graduate credit can be earned whether or not the student has been admitted to the Graduate School, but in most cases a student who has not yet been admitted to the Graduate School will have to transfer the credits in to his/her graduate career after official admission to the Graduate School.  In such cases, rules governing Transfer of Credit will apply.

Undergraduate students and graduate students in either a Temporary or Non-Degree status may take 5000-level courses.  Once they are ultimately admitted to degree status in the Graduate School, those courses must formally be transferred into their graduate programs by using the Transfer of Credit form.  In such cases, the following requirements apply:

  • The course(s) must be appropriate to the graduate degree,
  • A grade of “B” or higher must have been earned in each course to be transferred in, and
  • A limited number of credits may be transferred in to a master’s degree program, as specified in the Transfer of Credit policy.

Additionally, the six-year period that each student has to complete his/her  graduate degree begins with the date of the earliest course that will count towards completion of the degree requirements.  If a student were to transfer in a course that was taken, for example, two years before his/her official admission to the Graduate School, the six-year clock would start with the date of that transfer course.

In all cases in which a 5000 level course is used to complete the requirements of a graduate degree, the student must notify the instructor of the course that the course is being taken for graduate credit.  In such instances, the professor is expected to require additional work of the student to justify making the course a graduate-level course.  This is done by use of the Graduate Credits Requested for Undergraduate Course form, which can be found on the Graduate School’s forms website.

The declaration of taking an undergraduate course for graduate credit must be made in advance of taking the course.  In no case will such credit be granted after the fact.

Graduate students who take an upper-division undergraduate course and who do not want to receive graduate credit for it, and who do not intend to use it towards completion of the graduate degree requirements, should register for the 4000-level version of the course.

What is the difference between full-time, half-time, and less than half-time?

Every degree-seeking graduate student must be enrolled as a full-time, half-time, or less than half-time student each fall and spring term to maintain his or her status. All degree graduate students must enroll in either: adviser-approved course work; thesis, professional project, or dissertation credits; one of the continuous enrollment courses; or a combination of the above. Degree students who fail to enroll for every fall and spring term must apply for readmission to their program. (See Readmission

A full-time graduate student is defined as one who:

  • registers for seven or more credit hours of cumulative course work in one or more modules of a fall term, spring term or summer term*, or
  • registers for full-time status in a continuation course.

A half-time graduate student is defined as one who:

  • registers for four or more but fewer than seven credit hours of cumulative* course work in one or more modules of a fall term, spring term or summer term, or
  • registers for half-time status in a continuation course.

A less-than-half-time graduate student is defined as one who:

  • registers for fewer than four credit hours of cumulative course work in one or more modules of a fall term, spring term or summer term* or
  • registers for less than half-time status in a continuation course.

* "Cumulative" means adding all credits taken in all modules within any one term.

Note: During fall and spring terms, the status attained is effective only for the module(s) in which the credits are taken. For the summer term, the status attained applies to the entire term regardless of the module(s) in which the credits are taken.

How many credits can I take per semester?

 To be considered full-time status, graduate students must be registered for a minimum of seven credit hours for each fall and spring term. The maximum course load is 13 credit hours for each fall and spring term. A maximum of seven credit hours per summer session and a total of 13 credit hours for the entire summer term is permitted. Overloads must have the approval of the Graduate School by completing a Credit Overload Request form.

What is the Graduate School's grading policy?

Complete details about the Graduate School's grading system can be found in the official Graduate Bulletin.

What is the MarquetteCard and how can I use it?

The MarquetteCard is your passport to life at Marquette and your official university ID. Use it to check-out books at the library, to access the Rec Center and Rec Plex, for utilizing our PrintWise network for printing on campus, and many other resources. 

Your MarquetteCard can also be used to establish a pre-paid, stored-value account called MarquetteCASH, which you can use to purchase goods and services at many places on and off campus.

After you are admitted and have registered for classes, you may go to the MarquetteCard Office located in the Alumni Memorial Union, First Floor. Normal operating hours are Monday-Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.  The staff will take your picture and issue your card while you wait. Please have a photo identification and your MUID number when you get your Marquette ID card. Remember, you must be an admitted student, and you must be registered for the upcoming term in order to obtain your ID card.

Where can I find information about housing?

Graduate students find housing in a variety of neighborhoods both around campus and in the greater Milwaukee area. Contact our Office of Off-Campus Housing to get started.

Who do I contact for parking permits or public transportation information?

You may purchase a parking permit online. There are various options available based on your enrollment status (full-time or part-time) and parking needs. For questions, contact the Office of Parking Services at (414) 288-6911, located in Alumni Memorial Union, 158. This office is open from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Milwaukee County Transit System (MCTS) passes may be purchased for a discounted rate at Marquette's Union Station, located on the first floor of the Alumni Memorial Union.

Is health insurance offered?

In lieu of health insurance, Marquette University offers a supplemental stipend which can be used toward health insurance premiums.

More information about graduate assistant and fellow supplemental stipends can be found on the Graduate School's website.

Can I defer my admission?

Most programs will allow students to defer admission for up to one year. A Request for Deferral of Admission form must be submitted. The form must be submitted before the beginning of the term for with the student was originally admitted. The Graduate School and academic department must approve the deferral and will notify the student when a decision is made.

If a deferral is approved, it is for admission only and not for any financial aid that may have been awarded. In such cases, students may reapply for financial aid prior to the deadlines.

International Students

Expand all   |   Collapse all  

What is the minimum score required for the TOEFL/IELTS exam?

International applicants whose language of instruction for their previous degree was not English must complete the TOEFL or IELTS exam.

Applicants should have an adequate command of written and spoken English, evidenced by a TOEFL score of at least 213 on the computer-based version or at least 80 on the Internet-based version (with a minimum of 20 in each subject area).

A total score of at least 6.5 is required on the IELTS exam.

Some programs may require a higher TOEFL or IELTS score. Refer to the Graduate School Bulletin to confirm the requirements for your program of interest.

Test scores may not be more than 2 years old. Test scores must be sent directly to Marquette Graduate School from the testing agency in order to be considered official.

Is financial aid available for international students?

Yes, international applicants are eligible for merit-based financial aid such as scholarships and assistantships. Not every graduate program at Marquette has assistantship positions to offer. Assistantship consideration is competitive and we receive many more applications than our financial-aid dollars can support. International students who receive assistantships will have very strong English-speaking abilities are will be able to obtain the appropriate student visas that will allow them to work.

On occasion, a partial scholarship may be offered. In this case, the student is required to show proof that he/she has the personal funds to support the remaining cost of the program and other expenses and will be required to pay a tuition deposit and health insurance premium before an I-20 can be issued for a student visa.

How do I obtain an I-20 or DS-2019 form?

If admitted, you must complete a financial verification form and show that you have the resources to pay for tuition and living expenses. You will need to send the Graduate School your completed verification form, proof of resources, and payment of a tuition deposit.

The Graduate School will email you an I-20 or DS-2019 form only after we receive financial verification and the tuition deposit.

 Does Marquette offer English language assistance?


All non-native English speaking international graduate students with teaching assistantships will be required to take a language placement exam upon their arrival on campus. Based on the results of that exam, students may be required to enroll in one or more English as a Second Language (ESL) courses in addition to their required course work. This requirement is in addition to the TOEFL requirement needed for the application.

ELS is an organization that provides ESL training for non-native English speakers. There is an ELS Chapter in Milwaukee, very close to Marquette's campus.

 What happens if I pay my advance deposit and cannot get a visa?

 As an F-1 visa student who has been admitted without full financial aid, you will need an I-20 form from Marquette. Federal law and university policy permit us to send the I-20 as soon as you complete the required financial verification and submit the $5,000 tuition deposit. The premium for the first semester of health insurance will be deducted from this deposit. You should plan to pay any balance in your tuition upon your arrival. All but $10 is refundable should you choose not to attend Marquette.

Marquette has a partnership with FlyWire to streamline the tuition deposit process. Through this service, you can pay from any country and any bank, and you are offered excellent exchange rates, allowing you to pay in your home currency (in most cases). You will also be able to track your payment via the student dashboard. To use this option, visit

Financial Aid


Expand all   |   Collapse all  

What kind of financial aid is available from the Graduate School?

Assistance for your educational costs may be available from many different sources. The Graduate School administers merit-based financial aid. Approximately 35 percent of Marquette graduate students receive merit-based financial aid through the Graduate School is the form of assistantships, fellowships, and/or tuition scholarships.

Learn more about merit-based financial aid

Need-based financial aid, such as federally funded loans, is handled by the Office of Student Financial Aid.

Who is eligible for Graduate School administered financial aid?

Student admitted to a master's or doctoral program are eligible for Graduate School administered financial aid. Students applying for the Milwaukee Area Teacher's Scholarship and Catholic Schools Personnel Scholarship may be non-degree students.

Recipients of graduate assistantships and full fellowships must be registered full-time during their award periods.

What is the status of my financial aid application? Did I receive an award?

Departments will begin reviewing financial aid applications immediately after the deadline. Applications received past the financial aid deadline will be sent to departments for consideration, however the amount of aid will decrease as time passes so it is to your advantage to pay close attention to deadlines.

Requests for financial aid are reviewed by each graduate unit and therefore the time frames for reviews and decisions vary. Expect to receive a decision approximately six to eight weeks after the deadline. The Graduate School will then send you official notification of any award.

Is there financial aid available specifically for diverse students

Yes, Diversity Fellowships for master's and doctoral students are available to new graduate students. Interested applicants should contact their academic departments for nomination information. You can find more information on the Graduate School's financial aid web page.

What kind of financial aid is available for international students?

International students may be eligible for teaching and research assistantships. Not every graduate program at Marquette has assistantship positions to offer and consideration is very competitive. International students who receive assistantships must have very strong English-speaking abilities and must obtain the appropriate student visas that will allow them to work.

Partial tuition scholarships may also be available for international students. In this case, the student is required to show proof that he or she has the personal funds to financial support the remaining cost of the program. A tuition deposit and payment of a health insurance premium is required before an I-20 can be issued for a student visa.

I was awarded an assistantship. Do I need to reapply for my assistantship every year? 

Yes, awards are not renewed automatically. You must reapply for continued aid for terms not indicated in your most recent award letter.

What if I want to quit/resign from my assistantship position?

In these cases, you should contact the Director of Graduate studies for your program or your department chairperson to discuss your options. If you do choose to resign, you should submit a letter of resignation to your department and send a copy of it to the Graduate School. If you resign at a date other than the last day of the month, your final stipend check will be prorated to the date of your resignation.

Are there any special concerns for income tax forms if I am a graduate assistant? 

Everyone's tax situation is different, so it is best to contact a qualified tax preparer or accountant for advice. In general, your stipend is considered taxable income because it is payment you receive for services performed. Marquette University will send end-of-year earnings statements to graduate assistants in January. Statements will be mailed to the same address that is on your check stub, so please ensure it is updated. Tuition scholarships generally are not considered taxable income.

IRS Publication 970, Tax Benefits for Education, provides further information. It can be downloaded at

 Special Issues

Expand all   |   Collapse all  

I stopped attending my program but I would like to start again. What do I need to do?

Please refer to the official Graduate Bulletin for Marquette University's complete Readmission policy

What are continuation courses?

You can find complete information about continuous enrollment and continuation courses in the official Graduate Bulletin. You should also consult with your adviser to ensure that enrolling in a continuation course is the appropriate course of action for your situation.

How long do I have to complete my degree?

Students are expected to complete all requirements for their degrees in the time allowed: six years for master’s degrees and eight years for doctoral (Ph.D. and D.N.P.) degrees. The time period begins with the date of admission to degree status, or with the date of admission to non-degree or temporary status in the same or closely-related program. The start of the time period is not affected by transfer credit that may have been taken prior to admission to Marquette.

More information can be found in the official Graduate Bulletin.

I attend another university. Can I take graduate level classes at Marquette for credit?

Marquette University Graduate School does participate in inter-university exchange programs with The Medical College of Wisconsin, the University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee, and the Midwest Catholic Schools Consortium. To participate, please review the details regarding inter-university exchange program application and registration online.


Expand all   |   Collapse all  

How and when do I apply for graduation?

It is each student's responsibility to apply for graduation, and to do so by the deadlines listed in the Graduate Bulletin. You can also find complete instructions for applying to graduate on the Graduate School's Graduation Instructions webpage.

Am I required to attend graduation?

Graduation ceremonies for all students are held in May. Students are encouraged, but not required, to attend the university commencement ceremony. Individual colleges and programs may also have program-specific events in May that are intended to recognize and honor each graduate individually. More information can be found on the Graduate School's Graduation Instructions web page.