- Payment Options
- Financial Aid Forms
- Graduate Assistant Supplemental Stipends
- Graduate School Tuition
- MyJob (Pay slips, W-2 forms)*
- Payroll Information (Payroll Schedule, Direct Deposit, W-4 Withholding)
- Rules and Guidelines
- * Requires Marquette VPN (Virtual Private Network) Access
Graduate Student Research Travel Awards
There are several funding sources for graduate student travel to conferences and annual meetings. Awards from many of these sources are restricted to graduate students who are presenting papers or posters, but a few extramural sources may provide funds for graduate students who are not presenting to attend a conference or annual meeting.
Conference or annual meeting sponsors/organizers
Many organizations who sponsor conferences and annual meetings provide travel awards for graduate student presenters. Information about these awards may not be evident on the conference or annual meeting website, especially for larger conferences. You may find it helpful to search online by the name of the organization along with "travel award", "graduate travel", or "travel grant".
Pivot is a searchable funding opportunities and expertise database. It is available to all Marquette faculty, staff, and students via computers on Marquette's network and via out-of-network computers using CheckMarq credentials.
A wide range of funding opportunities are available via Pivot. To search for graduate student travel awards in particular, you may find it helpful to:
- Click on the "Advanced Search" link.
- Leave "All Fields" selected and enter "travel" into the search box.
- Click on "Applicant Type" and select "Graduate Student."
- Click the blue "Search" button in the upper right corner of the page.
Many academic departments allocate some funding to support graduate student travel to conferences and annual meetings. You may wish to inquire about the availability of funding in your department prior to submitting a conference proposal.
Graduate School travel awards
The Graduate School supports student research that raises the profile of Marquette University through the Graduate Student Research Travel Award (GSRTA). Follow these guidelines to appropriately complete the application:
Amount of support
The size of awards will vary, but is typically capped at $500.
- Students must be admitted to a program that is administered by the Graduate School.
- Students must be registered full-time.
- Students must have an approved Doctoral Program Planning Form or Master’s Program Planning Form on file.
- Preference is given to applicants with an established record of scholarship.
- Preference is given to advanced scholarship, i.e., doctoral students who have passed their Doctoral Qualifying Exams and have approved Doctoral Dissertation Outlines.
- Preference is given to students presenting at international and national conferences over regional or local conferences.
- Applicants are strongly encouraged to seek additional funds from their departments, but securing matching funds is not required.
Applicants should fill out and submit:
- A completed Application for Graduate Student Travel Research Award, signed by the applicant and a department representative, such as the Dean, Department Chair, Director of Graduate Studies, or adviser.
- The invitation to present, or acceptance notification.
- A description of the presentation, including its significance in the field.
- A current curriculum vitae.
- Send applications to the Graduate School, or email to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadlines and selection process
Applications are accepted and reviewed by the Graduate School several times during the year. Submission deadlines are:
- September 15 (for travel between September 16 - November 1)
- November 1 (for travel between November 2 – February 1)
- February 1 (for travel between February 2 – April 15)
- April 15 (for travel between April 16 – July 1)
- July 1 (for travel between July 2 - September 15)
The Associate Dean of the Graduate School will review applications. Applicants will be notified of the funding decision by email within two weeks of the deadline.