International Graduate Student Resources

Welcome to Marquette University, a Catholic, Jesuit university, committed to helping you cultivate the knowledge, skills, and sense of community you need to succeed in your graduate program, build a meaningful career, lead a purposeful life and better the world around you.


Expand all   |   Collapse all  

Admission and F-1 Student Visa

Upon admission to Marquette University as an international student, you will need to complete the following to receive an F-1 student visa:

  • Accept your offer of admission: 
  • Accept your offer of financial aid, if applicable.
  • Submit required documents for I-20 to
    • Passport (scanned copy)
    • Financial verification, if applicable
    • Bank statement, if applicable
    • Dependent family information, if applicable 

Completing Your F-1 Student Visa Application

You will receive your I-20 form from Marquette University via email. Once we have issued your I-20, you need to complete the following steps to complete your F-1 student visa application: 

  • Pay $350 SEVIS I-901 fee online. 
  • Apply for your non-immigrant visa and pay $160 non-refundable visa application fee by completing the online DS-160 form
  • Schedule your visa interview at a U.S. embassy or consulate 
  • Gather documents needed for your interview. Detailed information can be found at
    • Passport 
    • Form DS-160 confirmation page 
    • Application fee payment receipt if you are required to pay before your interview
    • Form I-20
    • You may be asked to provide additional documents such as:
      • Transcripts, diplomas or degrees from schools you attended
      • Standardized test scores required for admission into your program
      • Your intent to depart the United States upon completion of your program
      • Demonstration of how you will pay for your education and living expenses
      • Marriage certificate and pictures if a spouse or dependent child is involved
  • Prepare for your interview. 
  • Complete your interview. 
  • Receive your student F-1 visa. 

Traveling With an F-1 Visa 

Once you have received your F-1 visa, book your travel arrangements. As a new student on an F-1 visa, you are not permitted to enter the United States earlier than 30 days before the start of your program. Bring the following documents in your carry-on luggage to present to a Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officer when you enter the country:

  • Form I-20
  • Passport
  • F-1 student visa
  • Admissions acceptance letter
  • Receipt of SEVIS I-901 fee
  • Financial documents
  • Other documents such as:
    • Health and immunization records
    • Transcripts
    • Degrees, diplomas, certificates 


As you consider where you will live while earning your graduate degree, here are some things to consider. On-campus apartments fill up very quickly, so if you are interested in living on campus, we recommend you begin looking as soon as possible. There are also many off-campus housing options throughout the Marquette community.

Temporary housing in the Marquette residential halls may be available for two weeks prior to the start of the semester for a daily fee. If interested, email Meghann Fitzpatrick, Assistant Director for University Apartments and Off Campus Student Services in Residence Life, at

Local hotels can also provide a temporary place to stay while you search for more permanent living arrangements. View this link for Marquette related discounts on rooms. 


Expand all   |   Collapse all  

Airports and Arranging Transportation 

Most students fly into the following airports:

Milwaukee Mitchell International Airport (MKE), 10 miles from campus

Chicago O’Hare International Airport (ORD), 80 miles from campus

Chicago Midway International Airport (MDW), 100 miles from campus

Eagle Express 

If you arrive in Milwaukee via the Milwaukee Intermodal Train Station, you can contact Marquette’s EagleExpress for a free ride to campus.


Expand all   |   Collapse all  

International Education, Office Of 

International Education, Office Of 
Holthusen Hall, 1324 West Wisconsin Avenue, 4th floor 
(414) 288-7289

Check in with the Office of International Education (OIE) to let them know you have arrived on campus.

The Office of International Education (OIE) works to support graduate students by providing innovative education abroad opportunities; advising international students, scholars, and their families on their rights and obligations under their legal status in the U.S. (e.g. maintaining status, employment, and practical training) and approving and recommending status related benefits; and enrolling them in MU’s mandatory international health insurance. OIE offers a multi-day training for international teaching assistants who are new to Marquette, orientation for all new international students covering a range of topics, as well as opportunities for students to get involved in international and cultural events on and around campus.  For more information, email at or call at 414-288-7289. 

Pick Up Your Marquettecard (Student Identification Card) 

  • Every student is required to have an MUID card, which provides access to the library, recreational facilities, computer labs and other areas on campus.
  • MarquetteCards are processed in our Alumni Memorial Union, Room 158, at 1442 West Wisconsin Avenue.

Consider Setting Up Your Banking

Marquette University has a partnership with Town Bank, which is located in our Alumni Memorial Union on the first floor. To open a checking account at Town Bank’s campus location, you need to deposit $100 and provide the following documentation:

  • Passport
  • F-1 visa
  • Proof of residency, such as a bill or lease that includes your U.S. home address 
    A U.S. phone number

Other banks in Milwaukee are also options, such as Wells Fargo, U.S. Bank or Chase Bank.

Consider Applying for a Wisconsin Identification Card (WI ID) 

Students who are not eligible for a Wisconsin driver’s license can obtain a state identification card to use as proof of age or identity. (See more about driver’s licenses in the “Transportation” section.)

  • Apply for a WI ID at the State of Wisconsin Office Building, Room 190, at 819 North Sixth Street.
  • Hours of operation are Monday–Friday, 8:30 a.m.– 4:00 p.m.
  • The following items are needed to apply for a Wisconsin Identification Card:
    • Passport
    • Form I-20 (F-1 students) or Form DS-2019 (J-1 students)
    • Form I-94 or printed I-94 verification
    • One other form of identification, such as your MarquetteCard
    • $28 fee
  • More information can be found here. 


Expand all   |   Collapse all  

U.S. Immigration Laws and Regulations

U.S. Immigration Laws and Regulations to Know: 

  • You are responsible for maintaining valid F-1 status while in the United States.
  • You must always maintain a valid passport. It is your responsibility to renew your passport at least six months before it expires.
  • You are required to report changes to your name or address to the Office of International Education (OIE) within 10 days of the change.
  • If you are unable to complete your program of study by the date listed on your I-20, you must request an I-20 extension from OIE before your I-20 expiration date.
  • You are not allowed to work off campus in the United States without authorization. F-1 students are allowed to work on campus up to 20 hours per week when school is in session and 40 hours per week during semester breaks. F-1 students may only work at the school that maintains their current SEVIS record. 


F-1 regulations allow students to work part time (up to 20 hours) during the academic term at approved on-campus jobs, and more than 20 hours during holidays, vacations and university breaks. Teaching assistants and research assistants should obtain permission from the Graduate School for work that is in addition to their assistantship. Students must be sure they do not work more than 20 hours per week at any on-campus job or combination of jobs during the academic semester. Working more than 20 hours per week during the term can result in a loss of F-1 status. You can review on campus information and opportunities in Marquette’s JobX student employment database.

Social Security Numbers

Social Security numbers are required for F-1 students who will be employed in the United States. This includes if you have a teaching, research or graduate assistantship at Marquette. You will need to apply for a Social Security number AFTER you arrive in the United States. The Social Security Administration can be reached at (800) 772-1213 or

The Social Security Administration recommends that you wait at least 10 days after you arrive in the United States before applying for a number. This allows time for your arrival data from the port of entry to be entered in the database that is used to authorize the issuance of your card. If approved, your official Social Security card will be sent to you via postal mail within two to eight weeks. 

More comprehensive information on your transition to Marquette University can be found in the above Quick Links and the International Admitted Graduate Student Handbook.