Master the art of communication.
Examine the theories, concepts and skills behind human interaction—one to one, in a group, in organizations, and in various public settings. You can focus your expertise in areas such as organizational and managerial communication, family/gender communication, interpersonal communication and persuasion and rhetoric.
Develop the wisdom of the ancients.
Study Plato, Aristotle and modern rhetoricians to understand the theories and strategies of rhetoric.
Sharpen your own communication skills and learn to listen, reason and speak more effectively. Become a more persuasive speaker, able to lead, negotiate and motivate.
Work with the best.
Learn from professors who are nationally recognized leaders in persuasive, organizational, corporate, family, cross-cultural and health communication. And through our structured internship program, you have access to Milwaukee’s Fortune 500 companies, newspaper and broadcast organizations and nonprofit groups.
Cover the Spectrum of Communication.
Examine the theories, concepts and skills behind human interaction – one to one, in a group, in an organization, in the world. You can focus your expertise in areas such as organizational and managerial communication, family and gender communication, interpersonal communication and persuasion and rhetoric.
At the completion of the Communication Studies major, the graduate is able to:
- Explain major theories of communication and apply to multiple contexts.
- Conduct and evaluate communication research.
- Construct and analyze well reasoned arguments.
- Design and present effective messages for multiple audiences.
- Demonstrate skills in listening, conflict management, and decision-making.
Our communication studies graduates work in areas such as corporate consulting, special events planning, corporate training and development, nonprofit fund-raising, human resources and law.
For more information, check out the curriculum for the Communication Studies Major, Communication Studies Minor or contact Dr. Scott D'Urso, Department Chair of Communication Studies.
- Possible Careers
- Sample Internships
- Recent Employers
- Corporate Manager
- Corporate Recruiter
- Grant Writer
- Organizational Development Consultant
- Product Manager
- Public Affairs Director
- Sales Consultant / Marketer
- Special Events Planner
- University Admissions and Recruiter
- American Lung Association
- Banana Republic
- Chamber Theatre of Milwaukee
- Milwaukee District Attorney's Office
- Johnson Controls
- Northwestern Mutual Financial Network
- SBC Communications
- Schwarz Pharma