Manage an organization's image.
Help organizations accurately communicate their images to customers, employees, investors and the media. Learn how to positively influence business practices of clients and corporations. Apply an integrated and creative approach to promotion of products and services by mastering public relations strategies and tactics, emerging technologies and social media.
Join a growing field.
The modern 24/7 news cycle and an evolving media environment have helped to create a demand for skilled practitioners of public relations. The growth is evidenced through the global expansion of PR agencies and an increasing emphasis by business executives. As a student, gain an early advantage by participating on campus and nationally with the Public Relations Student Society of America, where you will connect with PR professionals and learn about specialization opportunities in numerous industries.
Make a difference with your career.
PR strategies and tactics can make a difference in a variety of ways. Work behind the scenes to help your organizations or clients build and maintain ethical leadership. Be a key driver in solving social issues. Be part of crisis mitigation and advance worthwhile causes to improve quality of life and society as a whole.
Participate in experiential learning.
Professors combine industry experience with academic research and work with industry professionals to deliver a curriculum that is both conceptual and applied. Courses teach communication principles, address modern changes to the public relations field and allow students to apply class content by working with campus and regional clients. A required internship lets students specialize in a chosen area and helps develop professional networks.
At the completion of the Public Relations major, the graduate is able to:
- Apply the principles of primary and secondary research to public relations situations.
- Create effective public relations plans using fundamental planning components that include situation analysis, public profile, objectives, strategies and tactics.
- Create effective, objective-oriented PR materials in a variety of formats and for different publics.
For more information, check out the curriculum for the Public Relations Major, Public Relations Minor or contact Dr. Kati Berg, Department Chair of Strategic Communication.
- Possible Careers
- Sample Internships
- Recent Employers
- Campaign Planner
- Community Relations Specialist
- Corporate Communication Coordinator
- Government or Public Affairs Official
- Marketing Communication
- Media Relations Specialist
- Press Secretary
- Public Relations Specialist or Officer
- Social Media Specialist
- Special Events Organizer
- American Diabetes Association
- American Red Cross
- Children's Hospital of Wisconsin
- Major league sports teams
- Milwaukee Department of City Development
- Northwestern Mutual Financial Network
- Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin
- Edelman Public Relations
- Golan Harris
- Laughlin Constable
- Northwestern Mutual
- Ogilvy PR