Dissertation defense schedule
Dissertation Defense Details
Videoconference Set Up
Tips for Effective Videoconference Dissertations
Submitting your Announcement of Public Defense of the Dissertation
Defenses may be held entirely in person so long as all university protocols are followed regarding such gatherings. Hybrid defenses are also allowed, where some attendees are in person and others online, or the defense may take place entirely online. The dissertation chair has the discretion to approve the option, but is asked to be sensitive of requests for remote attendance.
Create a Videoconference via Teams: If a hybrid or entirely online defense is held, the student will be responsible for setting up the virtual defense through the required platform, Microsoft Teams.
- Review tips on creating and managing webinars in Microsoft Teams.
- Please have the Dissertator send out invitations to those they would like to attend the session. Encourage the invitees to download the software or app of the platform being used in advance so they have a chance to troubleshoot.
- Functionality is better over the apps than over web browsers. Chrome and Firefox are optimal if using a desktop or laptop browser.
- Videoconference dissertations should be scheduled 30 minutes before the scheduled defense time, allowing the dissertator and their audience ample time to troubleshoot and be acclimated to the virtual space.
- Include videoconference link and other meeting details in multiple communication so that it can be easily accessed by the invitees.
- For Microsoft Teams, become familiar with the additional features, including the "Poll" capabilities, which not only helps lighten up the event, but allows people to send encouragement to the dissertator.
- Advisors should begin with a brief explanation for the audience for how to use the platform. The most important reminder is to tell invitees to mute themselves unless they are speaking to reduce ambient noise and other distractions. Be sure to ask invitees if they are familiar with how to do this and if not, feel free to walk them through the mute feature. If there are audio issues, it can be helpful to turn the video off.
- Advisors should record the session for the person defending as a memento for this occasion. This is a recommendation and optional.
Dissertation Defense Schedule