Dissertation defense schedule
Dissertation Defense Details
Videoconference Set Up
Tips for Effective Videoconference Dissertations
- Please have the Dissertator send out invitations to those they would like to attend the session. Encourage the invitees to download the software or app of the platform being used in advance so they have a chance to troubleshoot.
- Functionality is better over the apps than over web browsers. Chrome and Firefox are optimal if using a desktop or laptop browser.
- Videoconference dissertations should be scheduled 30 minutes before the scheduled defense time, allowing the dissertator and their audience ample time to troubleshoot and be acclimated to the virtual space.
- Include videoconference link and other meeting details in multiple communication so that it can be easily accessed by the invitees.
- For Microsoft Teams, become familiar with the additional features, including the "PolI" capabilities, which not only helps lighten up the event, but allows people to send encouragement to the dissertator.
- Advisors should begin with a brief explanation for the audience for how to use the platform. The most important reminder is to tell invitees to mute themselves unless they are speaking to reduce ambient noise and other distractions. Be sure to ask invitees if they are familiar with how to do this and if not, feel free to walk them through the mute feature. If there are audio issues, it can be helpful to turn the video off.
- Advisors should record the session for the person defending as a memento for this occasion. This is a recommendation and optional.
2020 Dissertation Defense Schedule
Please come back soon to see the January defense schedule.