Recent leadership projects
Graduate Student Mentoring Assessment
Schmitt fellows recognize the value of effective mentoring. This project involved developing a white paper, Graduate Mentoring Resources and Needs at Marquette.
Schmitt Fellowship Alumni Outreach
Our alumni are part of a distinguished group. This project included conducting a survey of past Schmitt fellows and exploring opportunities for making connections, laying the foundation for developing Marquette’s Society of Schmitt Fellows, in order to create opportunities for engagement, such as mentorship connections, advisory board participation, speaking engagements and a Schmitt Leadership Fellows newsletter.
Leadership Matters Podcasts
Date: May, 2018
- Garwood Anderson, Interim Dean, Nashota House Theological Seminary and Schmitt Fellow (2001-02). Interviewed by Nathaniel Kidd (Religious Studies).
- Rebecca Cogwell Anderson, Head of Pain Psychology, Department of Anesthesiology, and Schmitt Fellow (1987-88), Medical College of Wisconsin. Interviewed by Michelle Toigo (Counseling Psychology).
- Carrianne Hayslett, Associate Dean, Graduate School, and Schmitt Fellow (2005-06 and 2006-07). Interviewed by Anne Fischer (Chemistry).
- Daniel Mayworm, Trustee, Arthur J. Schmitt Foundation (retired). Interviewed by Katherine Maniates (Biological Sciences).
- Laurie Winters, Executive Director, Wisconsin Museum of Art. Interviewed by Tyler Friedman (Philosophy).
- Susan Wood, Chair of the Department of Theology, Marquette University, and Schmitt Fellow (1984-85). Interviewed by Hans Moscicke (Religious Studies.)
- Daniel Zitomer, Director of the Water Quality Center, Marquette University. Interviewed by Yiran Tong (Civil Engineering).
- Retrospective, a reflective conversation amongst the Schmitt Fellows of their interviews.
Panel Discussion: “Cultivating Leadership for a Successful and Meaningful Career.”
Panelists shared personal stories of their own leadership journeys. They discussed what leadership skills students should strive to develop for successful and meaningful careers and how to develop those skills.
- Amy Van Hecke, Associate Professor of Psychology, Marquette University.
- Lars Olson, Interim Joint Chair and Associate Professor of Biomedical Engineering, Marquette University and Medical College of Wisconsin.
- Michael Stevens, Historian, Wisconsin Historical Society (retired).
Moderated by Schmitt Leadership Fellows: Jared Janes (Philosophy), Jennifer Marra (Philosophy), Alexandre Martins (Religious Studies), Margaret Nettesheim-Hoffmann (History), Anna Shishina (Chemistry), Dylan Snyder (Biomedical Engineering), Elisabeth Vogt (Clinical Psychology), Adrianne Wojcik (English).
Panel Discussion: “Do I Make a Difference? Taking the Lead and Inspiring Others.”
Leadership has numerous forms and people take on many different leadership roles over the span of their lives. A grand gesture, or a small remark can be the spark that makes a difference in someone’s life. The panel of Marquette doctoral students and alumni discussed their individual journeys along the unexpected and remarkable path of leadership.
Panel (Past and present Schmitt Leadership Fellows):
- Jennifer Bonniwell (Electrical and Computer Engineering)
- Peter Borg (History)
- Joshua Garlich (Biological Sciences)
- Carrianne Hayslett, Interim Associate Dean, Marquette University Graduate School, and Schmitt Fellow (2005-06 and 2006-07).
Moderated by Dr. Kevin Gibson, Interim Dean of the Marquette University Graduate School.