All university units with graduate assistants must have an active plan to evaluate their performance overseen by the supervising director of graduate studies (or commensurate position), who is responsible for ensuring the process is applied appropriately to all graduate assistants in the unit. Performance evaluation should be an ongoing process of documented communication between the graduate assistant and directing faculty. It is critical that both the graduate assistant and the university unit/directing faculty have a mutual understanding about expectations of the graduate assistant duties and responsibilities.
At a minimum, each unit is responsible for a process each semester that includes making sure:
- Each graduate assistant schedules, at the beginning of each term, a meeting with their directing faculty to discuss the responsibilities, goals and communication expectations for the semester. When a student reports to two directing faculty, the student must be notified whether to schedule a separate or joint meeting, or if one directing faculty will be solely responsible for performance evaluation. When necessary, the supervising director of graduate studies will coordinate the student’s performance evaluation.
- Each graduate assistant sends a follow up email to the directing faculty, including the supervising director of graduate studies on the communication, detailing the responsibilities and goals discussed during that meeting.
- Periodic check-ins are recommended between graduate assistants and their directing faculty.
- Each graduate assistant schedules, after midterm, a meeting with their directing faculty (at an agreed-upon timeline) for a formal performance evaluation, using the Graduate School’s Graduate Assistant Performance Evaluation Form or a substantially parallel form, with those reporting to two directing faculty guided by the processes used at the beginning of the term to establish expectations.
- Each department office maintaining a performance evaluation file as part of their graduate assistant records.
- Each directing faculty submitting the performance evaluation form for inclusion in the department’s graduate assistant records within a week of the end of the term.
The Graduate School provides a Graduate Assistant Performance Evaluation Form for this process. Units are not required to use this form. Units are welcome to modify this form for their use, but if the form is modified, the performance of all graduate assistants in the unit must be evaluated with the same modified form.
These processes are the minimum standard for graduate assistant performance evaluation. Directing faculty and university units may choose to include processes in addition to this minimum, as long as those additional processes are applied to all graduate assistants in the unit. Assessment of the quality of performance is the sole responsibility of the university unit, based on academic and professional judgment. Graduate assistant performance evaluations are not conducted by Human Resources or the Graduate School, though the Graduate School may conduct periodic departmental audits of performance evaluation processes to ensure compliance.