- Apply Today
- Master's and Doctoral Programs
- Distance Education (Online Graduate Programs)
- Accelerated Degree Programs
- Application Instructions
- Request Information
- Contact the Graduate School
- Schedule a Campus Visit
- Graduate Bulletin
- Graduate School Staff
- Contributing to the Graduate School
Languages, Literatures and Cultures Master's Program
Specialize in Spanish with Small Group Settings and Individual Attention
The Department of Languages, Literatures and Cultures' graduate program is designed to deepen and broaden the student's background in Spanish language, literature, and culture.
The majority of the department’s graduates have entered teaching careers, continued on to doctoral studies or secured a position in business or government. Students in the program form a small and relatively intimate group. Graduate seminars are kept small, averaging ten students, and students are given individual guidance throughout their course of study.
Visit the department web page for more detailed program information.
Earn Your Bachelor and Master's in Five Years
This program is also available as an Accelerated Degree program (ADP), where undergraduates can earn a bachelor and master's degree in five years. Undergraduates apply during their junior year. Learn more about the ADP>>
- Application Information
- Learning Outcomes
- Financial Aid and Fellowships
No official deadline exists for the Spanish master of arts program; admission is on a rolling basis. However, applications submitted after the Graduate School's official financial aid deadlines are considered only as space permits, even if the applicant is not requesting financial aid. The deadlines for financial aid consideration are February 15 for the following fall term and November 15 for the following spring term.
- Read all application instructions prior to beginning an application.
- A completed online application form and fee.
- Copies of all current and previous colleges/university transcripts except Marquette.*
- Three letters of recommendation.
- A writing sample in Spanish. This can be a term paper from one of the applicant’s undergraduate Spanish courses.
- For international applicants only: TOEFL score or other acceptable proof of English proficiency.
*Upon admission, final official transcripts from all previously attended colleges/universities, with certified English translations if original language is not English, must be submitted to the Graduate School within the first five weeks of the term of admission or a hold preventing registration for future terms are placed on the student’s record.
During this program, students can expect the following outcomes.
- Speak and write in Spanish at the Advanced High proficiency level or higher, as defined in the ACTFL Guidelines
- Read and listen in Spanish at the Advanced High proficiency level or higher, as defined in the ACTFL Guidelines
- Demonstrate a critical understanding of the literatures, linguistics and cultures of the Spanish-speaking world
- Use appropriate research methods and practices in literature, linguistics, and cultural studies to develop an academic research paper and presentation in Spanish.
- Demonstrate best practices in language teaching and second language acquisition.
Teaching assistantships in Spanish are available to candidates on a competitive basis. Private scholarships may also be available. U.S. citizens and permanent residents may be eligible to apply for need-based federal aid (loans) to help fund their educational expenses as well.
Trinity Fellows Program
Students interested in this master's program may want to consider applying for the Trinity Fellows Program as well. Trinity Fellows is a graduate fellowship program dedicated to developing urban leaders with a commitment to social and economic justice. Trinity Fellows participate in a 21-month study/ work program while earning a master's degree. Those who have completed a full-time service program (minimum 10 months), and/or have worked for 2+ years in the nonprofit sector are eligible to apply. Details and instructions to apply are found on the Trinity Fellows website.