- Three Minute Thesis Event
- Winners around the globe
- 2023 Marquette University competition
- 2022 Marquette University competition
- 2021 Marquette University competition
- 2020 Marquette University competition
- 2019 Marquette University competition
- 2018 Marquette University competition
- 2017 Marquette University competition
Register now for 3MT 2023
See you at the 3MT Event!
One thesis. Three minutes. Three cash prizes.
The Marquette University Graduate School will host its fifth annual Three Minute Thesis competition (3MT®) on Feb. 24, 2023, at 4 p.m. in the Weasler Auditorium. This is a valuable opportunity for Marquette graduate students to practice their presentation skills, especially being able to pitch an involved research project in three minutes or less.
What is 3MT?
The Three Minute Thesis is a global research communication competition developed by the University of Queensland in Australia. The competition is open to all master’s and doctoral students enrolled in a program that contains an original research project. The degree program need not formally require a thesis or dissertation, but the presentation topic must cover the original research project.
Contestants will be judged by a panel of judges for a preliminary round (in mid-February) and finalists will be judged at the 3MT finals by a panel of judges made of up scholars and leaders from the community.
Learn more about 3MT
For more information, please see the Competitor Guide, or reach out to Carl Wainscott.
Eligibility, Participation and Prizes
- Students must be enrolled at Marquette University during the spring semester of 2023 in a doctoral or master's thesis program.
- A student’s program of study must contain an original research project. The degree program need not formally require a thesis or dissertation; however, the presentation topic must cover the original research project.
- Prize winners from previous competitions are not eligible to compete.
- Registered participants must schedule/attend at least one appointment (in person or virtual) with staff from The MIC Speakers Lab between Jan. 30 and Feb. 10, 2023.
- Registered participants must compete in one preliminary qualifying round.
- Eight to 10 finalists will be chosen by the judges to compete in the final round.
Two prizes will be awarded by a panel of judges.
- First Place: $500 cash award and ticket to the Marquette suite at the Fiserv Forum on March 1, 2023.
- Runner-up: $250 cash award and ticket to the Marquette suite at the Fiserv Forum on March 1, 2023.
- People's Choice (selected by popular vote of the audience): $250 cash award and ticket to the Marquette suite at the Fiserv Forum on March 1, 2023.
The 3MT® first place recipient will move on to represent Marquette University at the Midwest Association of Graduate Schools 3MT® regional competition. The runner-up will be selected to compete if the first place winner is unable to compete.
- A single static PowerPoint slide is permitted. No slide transitions, animations or "movement" of any description is allowed. The slide is to be presented from the beginning of the oration.
- No additional electronic media (e.g., sound and video files) is permitted.
- No additional props (e.g. costumes, musical instruments, laboratory equipment) are permitted.
- Presentations are limited to three minutes maximum and competitors exceeding three minutes are disqualified.
- Presentations are to be spoken word (e.g., no poems, raps or songs).
- Presentations are to commence from the stage.
- Presentations are considered to have commenced when a presenter starts their presentation through either movement or speech.
- The decision of the adjudicating panel is final.
Prep, Practice and Present: Key Dates
Preliminary Qualifying Round Dates
When: Held the week of Feb. 13-17, 2023. Late submissions will not be accepted.
Participants will compete in one preliminary qualifying round. Judges will provide written feedback to each participant. Eight to 10 finalists will be chosen by the judges to compete in the 3MT final round.
When: Feb. 24, 2023. All finalist videos will be posted online.
See you at the 3MT Event!