Register now for 3MT 2020
Registration is closed.
One thesis. Three minutes. Three cash prizes.
On February 21, 2020, the Marquette University Graduate School will host its third annual Three Minute Thesis competition (3MT®). This is a valuable opportunity for Marquette graduate students to practice their presentation skills, especially being able to pitch an involved research project in three minutes or less.
What is 3MT?
The Three Minute Thesis is a global research communication competition developed by the University of Queensland in Australia. The competition is open to all master’s and doctoral students enrolled in a program that contains an original research project. The degree program need not formally require a thesis or dissertation, but the presentation topic must cover the original research project.
Contestants will be judged by a panel of judges for a preliminary round (in early February) and finalists will present at the 3MT event on Friday, February 21 for a panel of judges made of up scholars and leaders from the community. The audience will also have an opportunity to vote for the “people’s choice” contestant.
Learn more about 3MT
For more information, contact Mary Wacker at firstname.lastname@example.org
Eligibility, Participation and Prizes
- Students must be enrolled at Marquette University during the spring semester of 2020 in a doctoral or master's thesis program.
- A student’s program of study must contain an original research project. The degree program need not formally require a thesis or dissertation, however the presentation topic must cover the original research project.
- Prize winners from previous competitions are not eligible to compete.
- Registered participants must compete in one preliminary qualifying round.
- Eight to ten finalists will be chosen by the judges to compete in the final round.
Three prizes will be awarded by a panel of judges and audience participation (for the People's Choice award).
First Place: $1,000 cash award
Runner-up: $500 cash award
People's Choice: $500 cash award.
The 3MT® first place recipient will move on to represent Marquette University at the Midwest Association of Graduate Schools 3MT® regional competition in Milwaukee, WI April 1-3, 2020. The runner-up will be selected to compete if the first place winner is unable to attend.
- A single static PowerPoint slide is permitted. No slide transitions, animations or “movement” of any description are allowed. The slide is to be presented from the beginning of the oration.
- No additional electronic media (e.g. sound and video files) are permitted.
- No additional props (e.g. costumes, musical instruments, laboratory equipment) are permitted.
- No pointers are permitted.
- Presentations are limited to 3 minutes maximum and competitors exceeding 3 minutes are disqualified.
- Presentations are to be spoken word (e.g. no poems, raps or songs).
- Presentations are to commence from the stage.
- Presentations are considered to have commenced when a presenter starts their presentation through movement or speech.
- The decision of the adjudicating panel is final.
Prep, Practice and Present: Key Dates
Informational Prep Workshop
Two workshop dates:
- January 23, 2020 3-4 pm (location TBD)
- January 24, 2020 3-4 pm (location TBD)
An informational prep workshop entitled, “Getting Ready for the 3MT" will be offered. This workshop will give you tips for a better presentation.
Preliminary Practice Sessions
When: Week of January 27-31, 2020
Before the qualifying round competitions, each student will be given an opportunity to practice his/her presentation at a designated practice session. These are closed sessions with no judges or spectators.
Preliminary Qualifying Round Dates
When: Held in early February, dates TBD
Participants will compete in one preliminary qualifying round. Judges will provide verbal feedback to each participant. Eight to ten finalists will be chosen by the judges to compete in the 3MT final round.
When: February 21, 2020 in the Weasler Auditorium from 4-6:00 p.m.
The 3MT event is open to Marquette and the public. Invite your friends and family to cheer you on!