Answers to Commonly Asked Questions about the Diederich College of Communication and Marquette University


Expand all   |   Collapse all  

How will the university communicate with me?

Each student is assigned a Marquette University email account, which is the official communication at MU.

Do I have to bring a computer?

ou are not required to bring your own computer. All MU students have access seven days a week to computers at Raynor Library during regularly scheduled hours.

What’s the best way for me to reach a faculty member?

Students are strongly encouraged to contact faculty early and often. Some faculty will request a certain means of communication, but the options typically include e-mail, office hours, D2L, phone or appointments.

Can my parents request my personal and educational information?

MU is bound by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and cannot share educational information without a signed release from the student. For the complete FERPA policy, see the Office of Student Development website.


Expand all   |   Collapse all  

Who advises me?

All students in the Diederich College of Communication are assigned to an adviser based on their declared major. Undecided students are assigned to a dean until a major is declared. Advisers provide course advising and mentorship throughout your program at Marquette.

How often do I meet with my adviser?

You’re required to meet with your adviser every semester, during advising week. We encourage you to meet with your adviser as often as needed for information on resources, progression and registration.

What if I want to change advisers?

You may request a different adviser through the college’s Records Office, in Johnston Hall 120.


Expand all   |   Collapse all  

How do I know when to register?

Students are randomly assigned enrollment appointments. You can find your date and time by logging into CheckMarq several weeks before registration.

How many credits may I register for?

You may register for 12 to 18 credits, which makes you a full-time student. Students requesting 19 or more credits must submit an overload form in the college’s Records Office, Johnston Hall 120.

There is an additional fee for each credit over 18. Note that dropping below 12 credits makes you a part-time student, which can affect your financial aid and health insurance as well as progression in your program.

Can I drop or withdraw from a course?

If you no longer wish to remain in a course, you may drop the course via CheckMarq before the end of late registration (usually about a week after courses begin). See the Academic Calendar.

If you no longer wish to remain in a course, and registration has ended, you may withdraw (not drop) the course. Complete a withdrawal form, available in the Records Office, Johnston Hall 120, and submit it by the last day to withdraw, listed in the Academic Calendar. Approval is up to the Associate Dean. Once the withdrawal is approved, you receive a W for the course on your official transcript. If you miss the withdrawal deadline, you receive the grade earned in the class.

Can I take summer courses?

To take courses at Marquette University, sign up through CheckMarq, typically in early March. To take summer courses elsewhere, you must clear those courses through the Records Office, Johnston Hall 120. Students generally may not take courses outside Marquette during the regular academic year.

Other universities do not automatically send us a transcript when you take a class there. You’re responsible for having official transcripts from other universities sent immediately upon completion of any courses to Marquette University, Office of the Registrar, P.O. Box 1881, Milwaukee, WI 53201.

Do I have to maintain certain grades or GPA to remain in the college?

All students must meet grade and cumulative GPA requirements and maintain progress. Students who do not meet minimum requirements may be placed on probation or required to withdraw from the Diederich College of Communication.

How do I declare or change my Marquette Core Curriculum (MCC) Discovery Tier Theme?

The Marquette Core Curriculum (MCC) is the center of every Marquette University student's educational experience. With five different themes, the MCC's Discovery Tier offers you an opportunity to pursue further studies across a range of passions. The MCC is designed with the expectation that students declare a Discovery Tier Theme before the end of their sophomore year. You can declare or change via CheckMarq.

Study Abroad

Expand all   |   Collapse all  

If I study abroad, can I still graduate in 4 years?

With planning, you can study abroad and graduate in four years. Discuss your interest with your adviser as soon as possible.

Where can I go?

Marquette’s Office of International Education hosts information sessions throughout the year. 

Students can study in Spain, Denmark, Austria, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy and many more wonderful locations. For more information, please visit the Office of International Education website.

A semester at the Les Aspin Center for Government in Washington, D.C. is a fabulous opportunity to learn and make connections with foreign embassies, media outlets, corporations and organizations.


Expand all   |   Collapse all  

How do I find out about extracurricular activities?

There are many student organizations and activities on campus, including student government, student organizations, Greek life, club sports and many more.

For opportunities within the Diederich College of Communication, visit our student organizations page. For information on other activities, see Student Organizations page through the Student Government website.

Where can I go for help with academic or personal issues?

  • Student Educational Services, (414) 288-3270, Coughlin Hall, room 145, provides FREE services for tutoring, study skills, test-taking strategies, time management and other educational strategies. Also helps arrange for and provide accommodations to those with diagnosed disabilities.
  • Writing Center, (414) 288-5542, Raynor Library, room 207, provides writing assistance to all students for any course.
  • Counseling Center, (414) 288-7172, Holthusen Hall, room 204, provides services for personal counseling and career exploration. Students who maintain full-time status (12-18 credits) are eligible to receive 10 free counseling sessions during their time at Marquette.
  • Career Services Center, (414) 288-7423, Holthusen Hall, 1st floor, assists with career exploration, resume writing and mock interviewing. They often host employer interviews.
  • Housing, (414) 288-7208, M. Carpenter Hall, room 203. This department is responsible for all housing assignments and services within the residence halls.

    Each residence hall floor is assigned a resident assistant who lives on the floor and can assist students with a variety of issues (roommates, personal problems, policies, etc.).

    If a situation becomes complex, it may be referred to a hall director.
  • EagleExpress, helps enhance campus safety by providing free shared rides as an alternative to walking alone for students, faculty and staff to and from any point within the MU service area. Trained student drivers operate the vans each night, year-round, from 5 pm to 3 am. Now powered by Via, it’s easy to request a ride for yourself and up to three friends, view the approximate wait time and track your ride on the EagleExpress app, If you’re unable to contact a ride via the app, you can still call the dispatch center at (414) 288-6363 to book a ride.
  • Marquette Police, Non-Emergency (414) 288-6800, Emergency (414) 288-1911. Responsible for protecting the MU community and securing MU property. Campus Safety provides walking, biking and automobile patrols of campus buildings and grounds; authorized after-hours access to buildings; and general assistance (locked keys in cars, jump-starts or other assistance).
  • Student Employment at MU offers information for students seeking employment on and off campus, regardless of financial aid status.