- Apply Today
- Master's and Doctoral Programs
- Distance Education (Online Graduate Programs)
- Accelerated Degree Programs
- Application Instructions
- Graduate Forms
- Graduate Program Bulletin
- Program Application Deadlines
- Request Program Information
- Contact the Graduate School
- Schedule a Campus Visit
- Graduate School Staff
- Contributing to the Graduate School
Philosophy Master's and Ph.D. Programs
- History of Philosophy
- Social and Applied Philosophy
The Philosophy Department's master's program in the history of philosophy and the doctoral program are based on the history of philosophy, ancient through contemporary, as the necessary experience for a mind critically able to face contemporary philosophical issues. The master's program in social and applied philosophy provides rigorous philosophical training for individuals who are interested in working in a variety of non-academic contexts or for pursuing further graduate studies.
Visit the department web page for more detailed program information.
- Request Information
- Application Details
- Financial Aid
Graduate Program Recruiter
phone: (414) 288-0327
Email the Graduate School
February 1 for the following fall term. Applications for admission received after this date will be considered as space permits.
Read all application instructions prior to beginning an application.
- A completed application form and fee A completed online application form and fee.
- Copies of current and previous colleges/university transcripts except Marquette.*
- A statement of purpose outlining applicant's achievements and intentions in philosophy.
- Letters of recommendation from at least three professors or professionals familiar with applicant’s academic work and/or academic background.
- A sample of philosophical writing.
- For international applicants only: a TOEFL score or other acceptable proof of English proficiency.
Upon admission, final official transcripts from all previously attended colleges/universities, with certified English translations if original language is not English, must be submitted to the Graduate School within the first five weeks of the term of admission or a hold preventing registration for future terms will be placed on the student’s record.
Trinity Fellows Program
Students interested in the Philosophy graduate programs may want to consider applying for the Trinity Fellows Program as well. Trinity Fellows is a graduate fellowship program dedicated to developing urban leaders with a commitment to social and economic justice. Trinity Fellows participate in a 21-month study/ work program while earning a master's degree. Those who have completed a full-time service program (minimum 10 months), and/or have worked for 2+ years in the nonprofit sector are eligible to apply. Details and instructions to apply are found on the Trinity Fellows website.