FWS is a federal financial aid program designed to provide part-time employment for eligible students. Marquette University receives an allocation from the federal government each fiscal year which is used, in combination with employer funds, to provide part-time jobs for students.
Students must apply for financial aid and receive a Federal Work Study (FWS) award from the Office of Student Financial Aid in order to work under this program. Students who demonstrate financial need are awarded FWS funds on a first-come, first-served basis until funds are exhausted. Therefore, it is very important for students to be aware of and adhere to application priority dates. Students who file for financial aid too late in the year may not receive a Federal Work Study (FWS) award due to lack of funding, regardless of whether they had FWS in the past, have financial need, or have a specific FWS job arranged. To receive maximum consideration for a FWS award, students should file the Free Application For Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) in January.
FWS funds are restricted to students who are either citizens or permanent residents of the United States. Foreign students with an F-1 or J-1 Visa are not eligible for federal FWS funds but are eligible for MSE.
Students who accept their offer of FWS are not guaranteed a job. Rather, they are given access to available job descriptions in order to apply for the jobs that interest them.
FWS positions can be found in almost every Marquette office and department. Also, there are numerous job opportunities for Marquette students available at off campus FWS agencies. Marquette departments are charged 25% of the FWS student's earnings each payroll period. The remaining 75% is paid by federal funds.