Diplomas and Certificates

Jump to a section

See also this page

Entering my diploma mailing address in CheckMarq


WARNING:  Diplomas will be shipped to the address entered in CheckMarq.  Provide a complete address where you can receive mail.  

View instructions to update your address via CheckMarq


Step 1:  Log in to CheckMarq and click or tap the Profile tile

Follow this link for details on how to navigate in the CheckMarq Student Home (formerly known as Student Center).


Step 2:  Addresses

Click or tap the Addresses link in the left navigation menu.  All of your addresses currently on file will appear to the right.


Step 3:  Add Diploma Mailing Address

Scroll down to the Diploma Mailing Address section and click or tap the Add Diploma Mailing Address button.


Step 4:  Enter your address

The add address window will appear.  Enter the address to which you would like your diploma shipped.  Incomplete addresses may result in delayed delivery and/or replacement fees.

You can use the Copy From button to populate an address that you have already saved under a different address type.

When you are finished entering your address, click or tap Save.


Step 5:  Verify Address

You will be returned to the Addresses page.  Verify that your diploma mailing address is correct.  

If you need to edit your diploma mailing address, click or tap it to bring up the Edit Address window.  Make your changes and click or tap Save.

To edit an address and give it a future effective date (for example, if you know you'll be moving at the end of the month), click or tap the plus sign under Diploma Mailing Address.  When the Add Address window appears, set the From date to the date you can begin receiving mail at your new address.



Getting my diploma and/or certificate

At the commencement ceremony

  • Diplomas and/or certificates are conferred only at the May ceremony.  Graduates my otherwise pick up their diplomas/certificates at Marquette Central or arrange to have them mailed from the Office of the Registrar.

At Marquette Central

Due to COVID-19 room capacity restrictions, fall term 2020 graduates are strongly encourage to have their diploma shipped.

  • Pick up your diploma and/or certificate at Marquette Central with a photo ID.
  • Authorize another person to pick up your diploma/certificate. Please write a brief letter authorizing a specific person to receive your diploma/certificate. Make sure you sign the letter. Marquette Central can not release the diploma/certificate without your signature. You may give this letter to the authorized person to present to Marquette Central or you can mail or fax the letter to Marquette Central in advance. The authorized person must present a photo ID to receive the diploma/certificate.

Delivery by mail

Removing a hold

Diplomas and/or certificates will not be released to graduates who have a financial obligation to the university.  Please contact Marquette Central to discuss your hold.

What appears on the diploma and/or certificate?

  • the name of the college within Marquette (e.g., Opus College on Engineering).
  • primary or preferred name as selected by student when applying for graduation.
  • date of graduation.
  • type of degree completed (e.g., Bachelor of Arts).
  • all majors or the program from which requirements have been met.
  • any Latin honors earned (Summa Cum Laude).

What is the size of the diploma and/or certificate?

Marquette diplomas measure 9x12.  If you are looking for a diploma frame, the Spirit Shop sells frames.

What does it mean to graduate with Latin honors?

Undergraduate, Law, Dentistry and Health Sciences Professional students may be eligible for Latin honors.  These Latin honors are inscribed on diplomas, noted in the University Commencement Program and recorded on the student's transcript.

The grade point system is used to compute Latin honors.  The computation is made by dividing the total number of grade points earned at Marquette by the total number of grade point hours earned.  To graduate with Latin honors as an undergraduate student, a candidate must also have earned at least 60 grade point hours and 60 degree hours at Marquette, normally as a junior or senior.

In order of increasing level of honor, Marquette's Latin honors are:

  • Cum Laude:  Latin for, with honor.  A candidate whose G.P.A is 3.500 graduates Cum Laude.
  • Magna Cum Laude:  Latin for, with great honor.  A candidate whose G.P.A. is 3.700 graduates Magna Cum Laude.
  • Summa Cum Laude:  Latin for, with highest honor.  A candidate whose G.P.A is 3.900 graduates Summa Cum Laude. 

How do I request a replacement or duplicate diploma and/or certificate?

If your original diploma and/or certificate has been lost or damaged, if your name has changed, if you discover an error or you desire to have more than one copy, you may request a replacement or duplicate.

Complete a Replacement or Duplicate Diploma/Certificate form. 

The fee for all replacement or duplicate diplomas and certificates is $25, although no payment is required if you are requesting a redo of a diploma and/or certificate because of a university error (i.e. misspelled name, incorrect degree, etc.).  In these cases, you must provide the original diploma and/or certificate with your request or you will be required to pay the standard replacement fee.

Your request must include a copy of an official picture I.D. as an attachment. You must also submit your original diploma and/or certificate, if it is still in your possession, or provide an explanation on the form if it is not.

If your name has changed, we strongly urge you to submit a Name Change Request form.  Doing so will ensure that the university has the most accurate information on your academic records and allows us to maintain consistency between those records and your diploma and/or certificate.

Degree and enrollment verification

Employers, insurance companies or lenders may obtain verification of a student's degree or enrollment from the National Student Clearinghouse.