Diplomas and Certificates
Jump to a section
See also this page
Entering my diploma mailing address in CheckMarq
WARNING: Diplomas will be shipped to the address entered in CheckMarq. Provide a complete address where you can receive mail.
If you need to add or update your diploma mailing address after you have submitted your graduation application, please take the following steps.
Step 1: Log in to CheckMarq and click on the Graduation tile.
Follow this link for details on how to navigate in the CheckMarq Student Home (formerly known as Student Center).
Step 2: View Graduation Status
Click on the View Graduation Status link in the left-hand navigation menu.
Step 3: Edit Application
Click on the Edit Application button under the appropriate degree.
Step 4: Add Diploma Mailing Address
Scroll down to the Diploma Mailing Address section and click or tap the Add Diploma Mailing Address link.
Step 5: Enter Address and Save
The add address window will appear. Enter the address to which you would like your diploma shipped Incomplete address may result in delayed delivery and/or replacement fees.
When you are finished entering your address, click Save.
You will be returned to the Confirm Addresses page. Verify that your diploma mailing address is correct. Click the Edit Diploma Mailing Address link to make changes.
You are done. You can click or tap the confirm button to continue reviewing other parts of your graduation application, but this is not necessary. Your diploma mailing address is now saved, and you can safely navigate away from this page at any time.
Getting my diploma and/or certificate
Digital and paper diplomas are NOT distributed to graduates who have a financial obligation to the university.
Marquette partners with Parchment to offer an official digital version of the diploma to graduates which compliments the paper diploma. It's fast, free and shareable. Graduates can celebrate their accomplishment with those who supported them along the way, family, friends and colleagues. Digital diplomas can be shared with potential employers to kick start the next step in a graduate's journey or career.
How to Get it
An email notification will be sent from Parchment to a graduate's @marquette.edu email account with instructions for electronically claiming the digital diploma.
Follow these simple steps:
- Check your Marquette email for the Parchment award notification. Marquette email credentials will be used for recent graduates or current students.
- Follow the link to set up your Parchment digital credentials account.
- Once you've set up your Parchment account your email address can be changed to a non-Marquette email address.
Your digital diploma always will be accessible through your Parchment account. You can login and download or share it again and again at no cost to you.
What You Can Do with It
- Easily share your digital diploma with employers with a secure and verified link.
- Share with family and friends on Facebook and LinkedIn.
- View your digital diploma download online at any time with permanent access.
- Download your digital diploma and save as a PDF.
- Many countries recognize digital diplomas. Parchment Award diplomas are supporting the needs of international credentials.
Paper diplomas for spring term 2021 and later graduates will be shipped directly from Parchment to the Diploma Mailing address reflected for the graduate in CheckMarq. The paper diploma will be shipped 7-14 days after receipt of the email from Parchment with information on claiming the digital version of the diploma. Graduates can use their Parchment account to track the delivery of their paper diploma.
Paper diplomas for fall term 2020 and prior graduates and certificates for all terms can be picked up at Marquette Central or shipped from the Office of the Registrar.
At Marquette Central
- Pick up your diploma and/or certificate at Marquette Central with a photo ID.
- Authorize another person to pick up your diploma/certificate. Please write a brief letter authorizing a specific person to receive your diploma/certificate. Make sure you sign the letter. Marquette Central can not release the diploma/certificate without your signature. You may give this letter to the authorized person to present to Marquette Central or you can mail or fax the letter to Marquette Central in advance. The authorized person must present a photo ID to receive the diploma/certificate.
Delivery by mail
Removing a hold
Diplomas and/or certificates will not be released to graduates who have a financial obligation to the university. Please contact Marquette Central to discuss your hold.
What appears on the diploma and/or certificate?
- the name of the college within Marquette (e.g., Opus College on Engineering).
- primary or preferred name as selected by student when applying for graduation.
- date of graduation.
- type of degree completed (e.g., Bachelor of Arts).
- all majors or the program from which requirements have been met.
- any Latin honors earned (Summa Cum Laude).
What is the size of the diploma and/or certificate?
Marquette diplomas measure 9x12. If you are looking for a diploma frame, the Spirit Shop sells frames.
What does it mean to graduate with Latin honors?
Undergraduate, Law, Dentistry and Health Sciences Professional students may be eligible for Latin honors. These Latin honors are inscribed on diplomas, noted in the University Commencement Program and recorded on the student's transcript.
The grade point system is used to compute Latin honors. The computation is made by dividing the total number of grade points earned at Marquette by the total number of grade point hours earned. To graduate with Latin honors as an undergraduate student, a candidate must also have earned at least 60 grade point hours and 60 degree hours at Marquette, normally as a junior or senior.
In order of increasing level of honor, Marquette's Latin honors are:
- Cum Laude: Latin for, with honor. A candidate whose G.P.A is 3.500 graduates Cum Laude.
- Magna Cum Laude: Latin for, with great honor. A candidate whose G.P.A. is 3.700 graduates Magna Cum Laude.
- Summa Cum Laude: Latin for, with highest honor. A candidate whose G.P.A is 3.900 graduates Summa Cum Laude.
How do I request a replacement or duplicate diploma and/or certificate?
If your original diploma and/or certificate has been lost or damaged, if your name has changed, if you discover an error or you desire to have more than one copy, you may request a replacement or duplicate.
Complete a Replacement or Duplicate Diploma/Certificate form.
The fee for all replacement or duplicate diplomas and certificates is $25, although no payment is required if you are requesting a redo of a diploma and/or certificate because of a university error (i.e. misspelled name, incorrect degree, etc.). In these cases, you must provide the original diploma and/or certificate with your request or you will be required to pay the standard replacement fee.
Your request must include a copy of an official picture I.D. as an attachment. You must also submit your original diploma and/or certificate, if it is still in your possession, or provide an explanation on the form if it is not.
If your name has changed, we strongly urge you to submit a Name Change Request form. Doing so will ensure that the university has the most accurate information on your academic records and allows us to maintain consistency between those records and your diploma and/or certificate.
Degree and enrollment verification
Employers, insurance companies or lenders may obtain verification of a student's degree or enrollment from the National Student Clearinghouse.
Request a diploma cover
Graduates can request a diploma cover by emailing Marquette Central. Make sure to include a complete mailing address.